Nepenthes leaf cuttings

venusflytrapman

Here's one for you, nepenthes growers: to take leaf pullings from nepenthes, peel a leaf of the plant, put it in root growing hormones, and put it in a nepenthes soil mix. It will have a 50:50 chance of growing a new plant. Aidan said it didn't work, but I found this information in a trustable source. So there.

Guest Aidan

Is there any particular reason that you added your "So there" post to the 'Name Change' thread?

You'd better reveal your trustable source.

This has now been split into a new topic.

It is a piece of information that I got off this expert grower on youtube I think it was. And I say 'so there' to prove my point to aidan, who obviously is skeptical on the idea. I think expert growers can lie though, and I was reckless in saying it was trustable, but it USUALLY is.

I didn't mean that in any offence, I was just saying, experts can be proved wrong and, maybe I have been caught in this cruel trap that has been set.

Anyone reading this, try and find out if this is true... I will too.

I didn't think that he was more knowledgable than anyone here, I just thought he had somehow snared that information, and he knew how to grow a range of plants, like you and many others on these forums.

I have already said it probably doesn't work. Anyway, I have two problems if I wanted to: I don't have a nepenthes, and I don't have an extension lead to my computer with my video camera. So stop putting up posts about this- I really don't know if it works so nobody try it (although it could, but just don't. I don't want to be held responsible if it doesn't work.

• 1 month later...
Guest bigboy313
Here's one for you, nepenthes growers: to take leaf pullings from nepenthes, peel a leaf of the plant, put it in root growing hormones, and put it in a nepenthes soil mix. It will have a 50:50 chance of growing a new plant. Aidan said it didn't work, but I found this information in a trustable source. So there.

Wow, he's pretty confident.

It is a piece of information that I got off this expert grower on youtube I think it was. And I say 'so there' to prove my point to aidan, who obviously is skeptical on the idea. I think expert growers can lie though, and I was reckless in saying it was trustable, but it USUALLY is.

Well, at least he is willing to bend some.

I didn't mean that in any offence, I was just saying, experts can be proved wrong and, maybe I have been caught in this cruel trap that has been set.

Anyone reading this, try and find out if this is true... I will too.

Good idea, lets give it a go and verify this.

Sorry for all this... I couldn't justify my evidence. Well, it is best to forget about it.

But I thought we were giving it a go?

I have already said it probably doesn't work. Anyway, I have two problems if I wanted to: I don't have a nepenthes, and I don't have an extension lead to my computer with my video camera. So stop putting up posts about this- I really don't know if it works so nobody try it (although it could, but just don't. I don't want to be held responsible if it doesn't work.

So from it went from being fool proof to don't even bother?

...I just thought a recap was due for this masterful thread.

:haha2: :haha2: :haha2: its not going to work...ive done it and the leaf lived for nearly 3 months. no rooting. no budding. just a live leaf. before you post something like this, be prepared to show evidence of your work. otherwise. dont bother.

Alex

Hey, the post wasn't entirely in vain, I had forgotten about some leaf cuttings I stuck in some media. :D I'll have to check it tomorrow to see if I was successful, if I am, I'll make a post.

It'll probably turn out to be like Alex said though, the leaves have been living in the soil for months now but probably can't root.

I am going to take a whole new root in this, because I think I can find that information. And I found it on the the monkey cup (nepenthes) care guide on little shop of horrors carnivorous plant suppliers!

Propagate the prunings by trimming to just below a leaf node and dipping in rooting hormone. Wrap the stem in moss with cling film, and place in a propagator somewhere warm. There is around a 50:50 chance of the cuttings taking.

Guest Aidan

This is a standard method of taking of taking Nepenthes cuttings which has been described here many times.

A quick forum search would have found you the same method some time ago.

And does it work?

He said

This is a standard method of taking of taking Nepenthes cuttings which has been described here many times.

Context is enough to answer your question if you concentrate a bit. If it's still not clear, try using the Forum Search function as advised.