U. microcalyx?

vic brown

Hallo Martin

Thank you for the work with this pictures.I think you are right.For me it has to be a hybrid between sandersonii and arenaria or sandersonii and livida.Look at the traps of the spezies:http://www.fischermans-antik.de/Liste.date...Startseite.html

But what is U.microcalyx?

Regards Alexander

Very interesting. Can the flowers be self polinated. If so the next generation should give variation if it is a hybrid. The seeds themselves should also give some idea of what it is. It is possible that it is a different form or intergrade of existing species and after having seen the variation in U. dichotoma I would be hesitant to label it a hybrid without more research. That being said the hybrid theory does look good.

I should also add, nice plant whatever it is :wink:

Cheers

George

Alexander,

thanks for the link (of course I know your very nice home page!) Looking at the bisquamata traps, I think I shoud include this one in my argumentation on the same level as the other threee I picked out. If it really is a hybrid...Sory but I have no idea what the true microcalyx looks like - except Taylors descriptions- as all photos on the internet seem to show the same plant!

George,

thanks for your additions. I too think one should be very carefully with the hybrid thesis - esp. with all this unsolved variation problems e.g. in the dichotoma complex or the blanchetii/parthenopipes considerations. I will try to get some seed and then see what happens.

Frank, try the toothpick method http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.p...light=toothpick

regards

Martin

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I have pollinated about 30 flowers of my plants and now got two seedpots with altogether 8 seeds in there. That is not too much :D but at least I can tell the flowers can be pollinated and produce seed. Whether it is viable or not will be the next question to answer. Hopefully they will germinate.

micrseed1kj4.jpg

micrseed2aw7.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality, the pics will be not very useful for taxonomic purposes. But there seems to be a coat around the seed, and with a bit of fantasy one can get an idea of the testa structure. The seedpot opens by one single slit from the underside towards the middle.

Regards

Martin

I tried to pollinate flowers of U. microcalyx with their own pollen as well as with U. livida pollen.

It appeared to me that both pollinations worked (the flowers dried out faster than other older ones), but I don't think I managed to make some seed... :D

Frank

A small correction to my previous post.

I rechecked the livida-pollinated flowers this morning. I now have a total of 8 seeds (from one flower) of what could (should) be U. microcalyx [picture above] x livida [south African form]. :)

I'm willing to send one or two seeds to someone that can examine and germinate them, since I don't have enough knowledge for the first and might do something wrong on the second. :D

Frank

Hello Frank,

as your seeds are fresh, they should germinate quite well. Though with a total of 8, it might be a better idea not to further divide the portion. 2 seeds would probably too less for a try.

Łukasz reported the cross Utricularia x [microcalyx*livida]

http://www.nepenti.pl/rosliny_galeria-35-4...x_x_livida.html

would be interesting to compare your plants to his.

Good luck -

Martin

Martin,

thank you for the link to Lukasz' website. I think that cross is with a Mexican form of livida, they look quite like those (see an earlier thread of mine in the Photos section).

I will try to sow the seeds as soon as possible then... :)

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

short update to my - ehm, not at all breathtaking fast :laugh: - experiment:

Now after 18 months a first seedling appeared. Unless there has no hijacker found its way into the pot in all these months, I can say that the seeds I obtained by self pollination are viable. Well, the pot still looks very clean, no mosses have found their way in by now, but with those weedy beasties you can never be sure :laugh:

So, wish me luck to bring this one to maturity, and the flower won't be yellow !

Any other progress on the "microcalyx" front out there? Frank, how are your experiments doing?

Regards

Martin

Edited by Martin Hingst

Any other progress on the "microcalyx" front out there? Frank, how are your experiments doing?

The good news is that my seedling pot is now completely green. Leaves similar to U. "microcalyx", although maybe a little broader (?).

The bad news: still no flower. :cheers:

Frank

Frank, have you checked whether the leaves - esp. the broader ones as you say - are single- or multiple nerved? One of the main points that made me think that this "microcalyx" is not livida, and maybe even not a hybrid of it as well, is the fact that its leaves - at least in my plant - are all single-nerved.

Would be interesting to know that the leaves are multiple nerved when livida is mixed in.

Thanks and good luck with flowering -

Martin

• 1 month later...

At last I found some time to take pictures, upload and post them.

Overview of the pot.

Detail of the leaves. What you see in the background is a EUR 2 coin for size comparison.

I think these leaves are still single nerved, right? On closer look, they appear quite similar to the U. "microcalyx" leaves...

(I hope my hybridisation attempt was successful. :shock: )

Frank

• 4 months later...

Hi,

just found this on Nature et paysages:

http://www.natureetpaysages.com/boutique/c...e-532-1-60.html

Would be interesting to hear, if this cross was made by Mr. Labat, or if it is his ID for "U. microcalyx"? He does not offer an "U. microcalyx" in his comprehensive shop at all.

Until now I thought about this one being the hybrid:

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~dpevans/U_sand...iiXU_livida.htm

Frank, I never managed to open your pictures. Maybe you have another way of hosting your pics?

Anything new by now?

From the four seedlings I got, three made it to an adult size now. I hope to see some flowers soon.

Regards

Martin

Edited by Martin Hingst

I think that picture on natureetpaysages.com is the same as the one that appeared on the Nepenti.pl website... :P

I noticed that my webhost acts funny even if I just paste the link (it doesn't allow hotlinking images). Copying & pasting the link normally works though.

Anyway, I have transloaded them:

pot

leaf detail

So far no flowers. :shock:

Frank

Thanks Frank, now I can see your pics :P

Interesting - I cannot say for sure, but those leaves look as they were single-nerved, even with livida mixed in. So, if your cross has worked, an my guess about your pics is right, that would mean that the multiple nerved nature of livida leaves does not come up in these related hybrids. So the single nerved "microcalyx" could be a hybrid with livida.

I do not have Lukasz' pics in mind, and the Utricularia pics are not yet on his new page by now - but I think Labat's pics are different, and even closer to our "microcalyx" here. Haven't got a reply from Mr. Labat by now, that would bring some light into this story.

Let's wait for some flowers.

Regards

Martin