U. bisquamata

Zongyi_yang

can someone give me some info on trying to grow u. bisquamata from seed? i know zip about utrics and need some help. oh, and do these things need some sort of dry period or dormancy? and is there a special way of storing utric seeds or can i jsut store them in the fridge like other seeds? thanks. Zongyi

Zongyi,

Utric seed can be extremely difficult to germinate. Current advice is to start with very fresh material and to spray the seeds daily under bright lights. That being said, bisquamata is a bit of a weed in most collections and seems to have a high viability rate.

I am experimenting with gibberillens to see if that will help break dormancy in other utric seeds. Difficulties stem from determining an effective concentration and finding a good source for fresh seed.

Hope that helps...

Most Utricularia do not require dormancy, and U. bisquamata is not one of the exceptions.

Ok, maybe im just stupid, but i don't understand what you said here. so does it need dormancy? thanks. Zongyi :roll::P

Hi,

U. bisquamata doesn't need a dormancy and can flower throghout the year. It is very easy to grow and most often becomes a weed in collection, due to its cleistogamous flowers. Seeds of this species germinate readily. You only have to give them a bit of light and warmth.

Christian

Greetings,

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that bisquamata goes dormant in my earlier post. However, it is my experiance that utric seeds have an endogenous dormancy that may be due to inhibitory agents and/or a rudimentry embryo. GA3 and other growth factors may help overcome the reluctance of most utrics to germinate.

On the other hand, it may be that most utric seeds are dead. Seeds from tropical perrenials usually don't have the same type of longevity that seasonal annuals exhibit. They probably do not have the thick seed coats to keep the embryo from drying out that annuals have.

To that end, I am experimenting with annual utric (mostly from Australia) and tropical utric seeds (Brazilian) and GA3 to see if seed viability is affected by GA3 treatment. I'm also working on chemical treatments with hydrochloric acid and acetic acid...we will see if that helps.

Peace

Damon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yay, they germinated! :D . i have sowed them on a peat and sand mixture. i don't know if the current media is sutable for them. does anyone have any corrections for the soil im using? thanks. Zongyi

• 1 month later...
Guest Baphomet

I think it is ok, because u.bisquamata tolerates a lot of types of soils. I use a mixt of peat and perlite (1:1) or, in another pot, only peat. If you want, i've written some information to grow u.bisquamata. Bye Bye

When your plant starts flowering, keep it away from all your other CPs. This species is very invasive and soon take over other pots. Recently, a Ut. bisquamata flower showed up in one of my Ut. subulata pots (seems like a bad joke).

Regards,

Dieter

Stephen, you are right. I should have been more specific.

The Betty's Bay form does not set seed by itself and is not invasive. So far I did not succeed in self pollinating this form.

This is a remarkable difference to the small form which sets seeds without my interference. And so far it did so very efficiently with every little flower (unlike e.g. Ut. subulata).

Regards,

Dieter

Hi Dieter,

Is your 'Betty's Bay' the plant we bought from Christian Klein in Würzburg last year as 'big purple flower'? I had some seeds from this plants last year. I have sown them, but they are yet to small to flower. Since bringing them into the house it hasn't set seeds any more.

Christian