Kinabalu pics...

Hello All,

I have been off the forum for a while as back in August 2005 we took time off to travel round the world. One of the first and MUCH anticipated stops was Mt. Kinabalu in Sabah, Borneo, where we were very much looking forward to seeing the CPs. Unfortunately I contracted viral bronchitis in Thailand and was banned from any physical activity whatsoever, including diving, trekking and most importantly, walking up mountains. This meant that I got to see the Neps around the base, but missed out on all the ones up the mountain including the Villosa! Luckily my fiance took masses of pics of the Villosa forest which looked totally amazing. Sadly we didn't get to see any lowii, but we did get to see a Rajah that held 3 litres of liquid - pic included.

We also saw Neps in Vietnam, and tonnes of Drosera in Brazil and South Africa - we may need ids on some of those in the near future...

Anyway, here are some of the photos we took whilst there - I haven't got all the names to hand right now so apologies for the lack in labels...

DSC00865.jpg[/img]

DSC00869.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

DSC00925.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

Truly magnificent pictures Fly :D:D .

Thank you very much for sharing.

By the way, the stars of the day are Nepenthes burbidgeae and Nepenthes rajah!

Friendly,

François.

Thanks! And thanks for the reminder on the ids

- how could I forget :( I did get over the

bronchitis, but it put paid both to seeing the villosa

forest (GUTTED!) and to diving off Borneo and West

Australia so it was a pain. Anyway, here are a few

more pics of the Neps at Kinabalu...

Rajah1.jpg

Forest.jpg

Villosa1.jpg

Rajah2.jpg

Villosa2.jpg

'Gasp' :(:(

Nepenthes villosa is not an overrated species. This is what i call an object of desire.

I will definitively give it a try (and better make not a mess of it. I can already hear Insektenfang Darth Vader's laughter :lol::( )

Thanks again for sharing Fly.

Friendly,

François.

Guest Aidan
'I will definitively give it a try (and better make not a mess of it. I can already hear Insektenfang Darth Vader's laughter :(:( )

Easy, just model Mt. Kinabalu in your garden. Though it may prove a bit of a hike for watering duty... :mrgreen:

'I will definitively give it a try (and better make not a mess of it. I can already hear Insektenfang Darth Vader's laughter :(:lol: )

Easy, just model Mt. Kinabalu in your garden. Though it may prove a bit of a hike for watering duty... :mrgreen:

I will just, like old Heraklès, divert a river from its bed! 292.gif

You naughty Hideous king!

675.gif

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Couldn't comment on the conditions I'm afraid as it was quite a long time ago now. Most of the Neps we saw ie the rajas and burbs were in one special area, the 'Nepenthes Walk', on a slope. The villosas were growing along the path up the mountain but I couldn't tell you the specifics (especially as I didn't get to see them... :cry: ).

Guest Andreas Eils

:wink: Oops, how could I have overseen new pics are added!

:shock:

I hope to make a trip to Kinabalu, too, before I disappear in a coffin! And I hope I´ll see those tremendous pitchers one day on my own plants, too - and may it be the last day in my life! :suave:

Great pics by the way!

Andreas