Leah Wilkerson my "Queen"

Sarra100

I have to agree with Aidan, the plant has reached ridiculous proportions. Dare I say, over-rated? A nice vigorous moorei but, not that unique. Quite common in the field.

Just one person's opinion.

Ditto. :wink:

I can understand the hype. It's like a new video game system like the new batch recently came out. Or to put it in Aidan's terms "a new Nepenthes species" which is true as well.

S. 'Leah Wilkerson' is definitely attractive with the milky white colouring, a larger Sarracenia with the red veins and a very nice Sarracenia overall but it'll be easier to get in a short amount of time. No need for the hassle. Theres plenty of beauty to go around in the CP world. :P

• 4 months later...

I was just wondering if Gerd took any pics of the ""Leah Wilkerson"" that he bought? I am very interested to see it as Brooks is a very good friend of mine and am sure that he is interested as well. Just wanted to get an update.

That is great, Max! It is a very awesome plant! But I am wondering if anyone has heard of an update about the LW that Gerd got. And I have to say that I don't think that Toof has a Leah Wilkerson in his collection as I have been in the field for several years as well and it is very different from Mooreis in the field.

Vegetative propagation is necessary to maintain the unique features of this hybrid. I obtained written permission to collect a sample of this specimen, and it is presently in a private tissue culture lab. Those interested in obtaining specimens of this plant should contact me using the address below.

Any update on tissue culture progress Brooks?

A closer look and you can see the stands of Drosera filiformis tracyi in the grasses. The ground was literally covered with Drosera intermedia and Pingulica that were all an intense red. I believe the soil has something to do with the red coloration. I have taken a small sample to have it tested.

Sorry, I was just looking at your site too and wondered if anything came of this soil sample? :tu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
What happened about this plant Gerd, did it turn out to be a genuine Leah?

Hi,

last year the plant made very thin and weak pitchers as you see on the pic`s below.

So I am still not sure it is the real one. I hope for this spring.

But my Leah Wilkerson X Leah Wilkerson seedlings looking great and growing fast.

Leah2800x600.jpg

Leah800x600.jpg

Greetings

Gerd

With these pictures it's still very hard to say it's the real Leah... Let's hope for some good pictures this year!

Anybody else?

Gerd, have you already asked Mr. Westphal?

Edited by TheCarnifreak

With these pictures it's still very hard to say it's the real Leah... Let's hope for some good pictures this year!

Anybody else?

Gerd, have you already asked Mr. Westphal?

Hi Ries,

yes i have already asked Mr. Westphal where he has got the plant from.

He told me that he has big connections more than 20 years , so he was able to get the plant , but he would not like to tell me where the plant comes from. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Gerd

• 1 year later...

Do you guys remember this topic?

I bought this plant from Gerd, and have it in flower.

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

Well....whats you opinion? Does somebody have a Leah in flower? Please post some pics!

Cheers,

Ries

Edited by TheCarnifreak

Thanks Natale!

Well....it does look like it don't you think? It's possible that mine have less colour because I haven't that much sunlight in my greenhouse, and I live few thousand km more north...

Thanks Natale!

Well....it does look like it don't you think? It's possible that mine have less colour because I haven't that much sunlight in my greenhouse, and I live few thousand km more north...

Hi Ries,

I think it is very likely what you say.

Expect to compare the pitchers.

Ch

Natale.

Hi Ries,

Things get more and more exciting, :yes: Bring the plant when we see eachother in june with you to my place, than we'll compare the plant with my Leah's!

Thanks Natale!

Hi Ries,

Things get more and more exciting, :yes: Bring the plant when we see eachother in june with you to my place, than we'll compare the plant with my Leah's!

Hi Rogier, that is a good idea. I hope very much for Ries, that is the real one.

By the way, Ries your plants growing very well for me. And the plants from Rogier, too.

Thank you again.

Hope to make more deals like this.

Greetings

Gerd

Hi Howard,

no I am not absolutely sure. The plant has no pitchers at the moment , in summer we will be sure. But I can not believe that plantarara makes fakes. Mister Westphal told me the rhizome is about 6 years old.

Greetings

Gerd

I wouldn't be concerned with the plant's provenance in the least . . .

This naturally-occurring Sarracenia x moorei cross has been in continuous cultivation since 2002 -- plenty of time for such a vigorous plant (one of its chief characteristics was its "unbelievable hybrid vigor" in the original 2004 description) to produce sizable rhizomes.

Upon re-potting this Spring, I discovered that my own five-year old S. "Leah Wilkerson" division had developed a rhizome the size of a yam -- easily twice its size from the previous season. . .

Edited by loligo1964

You wont know for sure until you compare it with someone elses genuine leah.your photographs are not detailed enough to make an accurate decision.Ive grown this amazing plant for a few years now.I would say you have to wait until the plant is fairly mature-then look at its first spring pitcher.This will be massive-way above anything else.Upon maturity the lid has a lovely purple edge.Of all the photos of the flower so far posted my own flower looks most like natales(No surprise as i supplied him the plant).Mainly pink.My plants are very vigorous,producing two or three divisions per year...at least.

Thanks for your reactions guys. I'll post some pictures when the pitchers have opened. It's sending several pitchers up right now.

I'll also compare it to Rogier's Leah's :)

Cheers,

Ries

• 2 weeks later...