Leah Wilkerson my "Queen"

Sarra100

Guest Sheila

Two growing points, so divided you will have a spare to sell?? :mrgreen: :D

You are so lucky, there are lots of us who would give an arm and a leg for one. They are appearing in collections more and more, so it shouldn't be too long before there are enough around so we can all buy one.

We will need to see pictures when it is growing. :D

How'd you get it?!

I found one on eBay for 100.00$ Thats very expensive! I took a look at the picture! Wow! Very nice milky white colouring with light red veins and very nice hood! This IS a very nice Sarracenia hybrid!

Two growing points, eh... ¬_¬...

What're you gonna do with that other precious growing point... XD

Hi all,

yesterday my "Queen " Leah Wilkerson arrived . A very strong 6 years old rhizom in a 16 cm square pot. The plant has 2 growing points . I am very very happy to get this plant.

Greetings

Gerd :D:D:D:D:D

Hi Gerd,

Are you absolutely sure that the plant in question is 'Leah Wilkerson',

or that the rhizome is six years old? That just seems a little large / old

/ generous for such a highly sought after plant 'discovered' less than five

years ago...?

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Speci...34n1p27_28.html

:?:

• Like 1

Why so many doubters, critics ?

Alot of plants can be got if you take the time to look and communicate with people.

All it takes are good manners and a fair swap, some people are more than happy to part with such a plant.

Joel

Two growing points, so divided you will have a spare to sell?? :mrgreen: :D

You are so lucky, there are lots of us who would give an arm and a leg for one. They are appearing in collections more and more, so it shouldn't be too long before there are enough around so we can all buy one.

We will need to see pictures when it is growing. :D

Hi Sheila,

if I have a spare you will get one.

I can`t wait to see it growing and take pictures.

Hi Gerd,

Are you absolutely sure that the plant in question is 'Leah Wilkerson',

or that the rhizome is six years old? That just seems a little large / old

/ generous for such a highly sought after plant 'discovered' less than five

years ago...?

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Speci...34n1p27_28.html

:?:

Hi Howard,

no I am not absolutely sure. The plant has no pitchers at the moment , in summer we will be sure. But I can not believe that plantarara makes fakes. Mister Westphal told me the rhizome is about 6 years old.

Greetings

Gerd

How'd you get it?!

I found one on eBay for 100.00$ Thats very expensive! I took a look at the picture! Wow! Very nice milky white colouring with light red veins and very nice hood! This IS a very nice Sarracenia hybrid!

Two growing points, eh... ¬_¬...

What're you gonna do with that other precious growing point... XD

Hi,

I get the plant from a german nursery called plantarara. And it was not expensiv. But there no more Leahs available at this time , only the plants you see in the online shop.

Greetings

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

I have had mixed experiences with plants from that source. Some have

clearly been misidentified whereas others have proven to be very good.

I will keep my fingers crossed for us all that your plant is the real thing

and will probably phone the man up myself too :D

Hi Gerd,

I have had mixed experiences with plants from that source. Some have

clearly been misidentified whereas others have proven to be very good.

I will keep my fingers crossed for us all that your plant is the real thing

and will probably phone the man up myself too :D

Hi Howard,

I hope for myself that the plant it is the real thing, but I believe in plantarara.

Greetings

Gerd :D:D:D

Guest SarraceniaObssessed

I find all of this very interesting since I have been the sole source for this cultivar until recently. Now, there have been a number of sales recently by me, including the ones on Ebay but all have been US sales. Mike King is the only person abroad that has 'Leah' legally and with proper paperwork. This is not to say that someone else has not shipped a plant abroad but, why for so little money when it is highly sought after?

I dispute a claim of a six year old rhizome unless it has come from the field or someone has crawled over my nursery fence, neither to my knowledge have happened. 'Leah' is a vigorous clone and in the right conditions a plant with two growth points could be 2-3 years old. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here but I think we should get the facts correct. The only way to know for sure will be a photo in the spring.

I think the sad truth is that there are people willing to be partner in less than honorable deals. Whether that be importing illegally, selling known fakes or reselling a mislabeld plant knowing or unknowing. We ALL get duped from time to time but in this case we are honored to have a person, SarraceniaObssessed, that is so intimately involved in the hobby and this plant inparticular.

As a suggestion in the future to Sarra100. Take your passion for these cool plants and make it work for you! Study up on the plants you want and really get to know their history. There's a lot of threads out there with info you can use. I don't mean to criticize so please don't take this personally. ;) My own thrill in the search has led to many lessons learned the hard way. One more quick suggestion, make sure any plant you sell or give away has flowered so you can positivley ID the critter ! :)

i hope gerd,s plant is the real thing,but as droserguy says we all get done over at sometime.thats why for the rarer plants you usually have to wait until they are more readily available(which can take years)or put your name on a waiting list like Mike King operates.

many serious growers will only deal with people they trust and have dealt before,so they are sure of the origin and material they are getting.

fingers crossed gerd.

This is a really interesting thread. It is extremely vigorous and it does divide readily. This could be a situation like flava 'Burgundy' was named by one nursery to every red tube they had and almost lost the true clone forever. As for 'Leah Wilkerson', I know of 2 Italian guys who have it now and I know Brooks nor myself have sent them the plants directly. Brooks has nailed it on the head as he found the plant in 2002 and it first came to me in 2004 so to have a 6 year old rhizome sounds like wishful thinking..

Guest jjcarnivs

Actually there ARE genuine Leah W. plants over here that came from the U.S. - there are plenty of people up for a trade 'on the quiet' if you have something they want in return.... be it plants or cash. It would be naive to think it wasn't happening :(:( The original supplier of a plant has no control over who his customers pass it on to afterwards.

It's been going on for many years and will continue to do so, whatever species the plant may be. You'd be surprised how many people don't practice what they preach in CP land ..... but no-one wants to grass on fellow members because they themselves are too keen for a division of the plant. And no-one is going to own up to it anyway.

I have a 100% genuine Leah W. in my collection that came from the U.S. and I know of two other growers who have one but before I'm swamped with requests for a division it's only tiny at the moment I'm afraid :cry:

Hopefully next year though.

I'll post a photo of mine in the summer when it's grown a bit to prove it's the genuine article.

Julie

Guest Aidan

Whilst S. 'Leah Wilkerson' is undoubtedly a very nice plant, the hyperbole has now reached a ridiculous level. It's getting almost as bad as the hype over a new Nepenthes ...almost! :( It's a good plant, but no better than many others and in the next few years it will become freely available. I can wait.

I think when it comes to importing plants, we must all practice what we preach. The risk of bringing in an unwanted pest or disease with the plants is far too risky. Everyone must be aware of this, otherwise it could bring the whole hobby into disrepute.

I have 3 large plants of this hybrid and next year will be safe to make rhizome cuttings and the first divisions are about to be released next week. I am sure within 10 years, everyone on the forum will have it!.