u. graminifolia grown as an aquatic

Hello,

an older thread here on the forum encouraged me to try out u. graminifolia as an aquatic species. Where this species is normally quite slow growing and a little bit picky when grown as a terrestrial, in my freshwater tank it is growing very weedy! I introduced a small portion in the tank in December, since then it has formed a really nice carpet on the ground:

gramhf7.jpg

This plant became quite popular by aquarium enthusiasts, I know now why...

Here a pic of one of the inhabitants - a little freshwater shrimp sitting on a hottonia:

shrimpcz4.jpg

Regards

Martin

Where this species is normally quite slow growing and a little bit picky when grown as a terrestrial

It seems to me like a massive invasion :shock: lol.

Nice and healthy looking plant. Could you post a general shot of the terrarium? And the conditions in which you grow it.

Thanks for the comments! Vash, it is a "normal" aquarium, I don't know what I should esp. mention. No heating, it gets the temperatures of my room - open aquarium with a sponge filter - lighting 2x35W HCI, colour 830 - the usual things. Here another picture of the tank:

tank1spb7.jpg

If you have any special questions, please ask.

Regards

Martin

• 1 month later...

Very nice setup!!!

I remembered this thread when I found an ebay auction recently.

An aquatic plants dealer sells this plant for aquarium enthusiasts

as "new lawn in the foreground"...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=150110069826

What other plants do you grow inside the tank? Are the shrimps easy

to look after? I have some spare tanks + lights... ;)

Hi Jan,

the water plants are (from left to right)

u. graminifolia (foreground), vallisneria americana (long slender leaves), riccia fluitans (background), ammania gracilis (the reddish one), bacopa caroliniana (behind this), cryptocoryne parva (small green plant in the foreground), microsorum pteropus (Java fern, background), eichhornia azurea, behind the hottonia palustris, pogostemon helferi (foreground), rotala rotundifolia (the reddish ode on the right) and some others-

none of these are really difficult, same for the shrimps.

Regards

Martin