I'm going to build a bog barrel.

petesredtraps

I have a half barrel on it's way,so when I start putting everything together I want it bang on.That's where you lot come in,I'm asking for useful suggestions.

Regarding it's construction:- first a plastic wash basin turned upside down(what used to be the bottom of the basin will have slits/holes in it) This will have a plastic pipe going into it.Then this will be packed round and over with washed pebbles/gravel,on top of that a layer of Hydroton pebbles,a layer of perlite,then a layer of long fibered sphagnum to stop the perlite floating up,finally the actual compost, sphagnum peat/washed silver sand.

Does the plan sound good so far? Or,are there other ways of doing it better?

I'm well covered for plants,although I want someone to sell me a selection of weather hardy Pings,about six different types would be nice.Everybody's ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.......Pete.

Not sure about the bog, but I do half quite abit of P. Grandiflora. They are about a year old. If you don't know, this is native too. PM if you're intrested. I can't do PayPal

i made a bog barrel several years ago for my wife.i started with half an oak barrel,lined this with an old black refuse sack-the thick type.then put some broken polystyrene in,3 or 4inches deep,then filled the barrel with old cp compost,from repotting time and watered it in.when settled in i cut the black bag 1 1/2inches from the top of the barrel and topped up with fresh compost.easy. my wife grows darlingtonia,pings,sarras,drosera & a little fly trap ,which have all survived being frozen,baked and watered when remembered.

Mine isn't lined, nor does it use a reservoir inside it. It is just full of compost and the barrel itself is waterproof (the slats needs to soak in water and then they swell and seal the barrel - barrels are usually designed to store liquids!). I drilled a hole around 4-6 inches below the surface of the compost and plug this with a rubber bung. In very wet weather I can remove the bung and allow the excess water to drain off down to that depth.

Best wishes.

I have 3 barrel bog gardens. Like you I placed a cheap plastic bowl with holes in, piece of pipe to add water in the summer, mix of peat and sand. I grow only sarracenias although a VFT did appear and has lived happy for 3 years now. They get no protection from the elements and thrive on my neglect :wink:

I love minibogs! I have a similar effort in the back garden (and Mrs Loakesy even likes it!)

I put a small upturned bucket in the bottom of mine. Certainly does the trick. I don't have a pipe tho' I let the rain do it's job. When it gets too dry, I just flood it.

I'm thinking of doing another one for the allotment (when I eventually get the Greenhouse back up and working!)

It's amazing how much water they hold......and how much water they use up on a hot day in the growing season. Don't go away on holiday thinking it will be ok for a week. Thankfully I have a helpful neighbour.

My half barrel arrived today,I baught it off a dealer on Ebay £24,dearer than some,but I must say it's in fantastic condition.The bottom is 23" dia,I've managed to find an extra large plastic wash bowl 18" dia on Ebay-perfect for the reservoir.

I'll be taking photos from start to finish of the whole project,they may help others who are thinking of embarking on the same idea.

Why the complicated stone/perlite base at the bottom?

Artificial bogs that people own usually lack a bunged drainage hole right at the bottom. It has been suggested (Schnell) that letting the water seep out the bottom slowly (or artificially quickly every now and again as you pull the plug) helps reduce the buildup of toxins. Would welcome other's views on this.