Big Pine & pumila 3

You're probably all getting tired of seeing P. pumila in habitat but too bad! :D For your viewing pleasure(or disdain) I went back to Big Pine Key again yesterday.

I went to see the usual population in an attempt to figure out if the yellow form really did grow on Big Pine.

Well I don't know if I found "THE" yellow form, but I did find a form that was very light with a yellow tint to it, definately not a white form.

Keep in mind that digital cameras can never truly capture the color of something as it is to the human eye(even though its pretty close).

The flowers looked very slightly darker in real life, but still very pale.

Could this be the yellow form? You can see the actual color a little better in the third pic.

bpkey01.jpgbpkey02.jpgbpkey06.jpg

All from different plants, compare it to this elongated white form..

bpkey03.jpg

I always imagined the yellow form to be darker... could it be a hybrid between the yellow and white form?

Some more photos:

bpkey04.jpg

bpkey05.jpg

A look at the habitat.

bpkey07.jpg

I left the trail to go see the gator at the blue hole. Afterwards I was heading back to the bridge when I noticed a trail I hadn't been on before. Immediately upon entering the trail I spotted dozens of butterworts.

bpkey08.jpg

Most of the P. pumila at the begining of the trail were looking worn out and damaged.

bpkey09.jpg

A large rosette for P. pumila!

bpkey10.jpg

In this area they were growing in very shallow depressions on oolitic rock.

Compared to the other trail, this trail was loaded with them. Their abundance may be due to there being less growth and leaf litter to choke them out.

bpkey11.jpg

Notice the plant on the right, its growing in a interesting spot.

bpkey12.jpg

Growing vertically inside a hole.

bpkey13.jpg

bpkey15.jpg

An overview.

bpkey16.jpg

The habitat.

bpkey17.jpg

bpkey18.jpg

bpkey19.jpg

A deer hopping through the area.

bpkey14.jpg

I headed back the the bridge.

Its unusual to see pelicans on the bridge, guess it must be a winter thing.

bpkey20.jpg

bpkey21.jpg

Pelicans aren't too smart and sometimes go after people's lures or bait.

We decided to castnet this guy and remove the lure. Sometimes a lure and long line can be fatal if a pelican flies into the mangroves and gets the line wrapped up.

bpkey22.jpg

Thats all folks! :D

Hi Jeremy,

your pictures are very interesting and tell a nice story about this species. I like this species very much and your post illustrate the variability and some habitats well.

I only wish it would be easier to get P. pumila from one generation into the next one...

Thanks for sharing

Dieter

Looks like a yellow form to me. :) Nice photos

I am glad you took the trouble of removing the lure. Too many birds die from fishermens laziness in getting rid of old line and lures. especially pelicans and swans. :tu:

Glad you guys liked them. :)

Be careful what you wish for, Earl. They get old really fast when they fly after your bait everytime you cast out.

Some are even brave enough to steal fish out of people's buckets. :tu:

Hey Jeremy!

I really enjoyed all your pics of P.pumila, a species which I was not at all familiar with before your posts. Thanks tons for sharing all this with us! Keep sending more!!!! :):)

Congrats,

Fernando Rivadavia

• 2 months later...