N.rafflesiana

Robert

Hi all, recently explored an area in Matang, 40 minutes drive from Kuching.It was a previously logged area. The natural reclaimed forest and the existing treks make walking and exploring easy.

huge trees that were extracted for commercial timbers ,after they were fell, often brings the nearby small trees like this down together.

DSC_32041.jpg

This is a typical heath forest where the ground is clayish and sandy. Notice the thick leaves litters over the ground.

DSC_3207.jpg

as in most cases where the conditions. is peaty neps display mass root system near to the ground surface, the main tap root penetrate deeper into the ground. The ground are very fibrous and spongy due to roots from tree and ground creeper. The roots are all entangle which make the ground soft thus allowing the neps to take root.

lifted up an ampullaria vine

DSC_3216.jpg

The rafflesiana here has exceptional size and colours. In term of size and colour most forms are well represented here.

DSC_3351.jpg

DSC_3357.jpg

some semi red raff. ( my only way to describe :shock: ) .Plants are still young without upper pitchers.

DSC_31831.jpg

DSC_3193.jpg

DSC_31891.jpg

DSC_31921.jpg

the lower and upper of another form. Note the rich colour especially of the upper unlike those in the Lundu heath forest

DSC_3198.jpg

DSC_3199.jpg

DSC_3218alt.jpg

Robert

Hi François, i suspect it was the humus from decaying leaves that provide the coloration. I maybe wrong.I also noticed water in the streams are dark brownish red in colour and this was due to the juice from decaying roots,leaves and tree branches :)

Hello Robert :shock: !

Oh, you think that the making of the water can have an influence on the pitcher's colour?

Why not? It would be an amazing explanation.

Did you notice anything similar (about the water) when you rambled on the black rafflesiana?

François.

hi robert

nice pictures as usual, see you next year at sarawak nepenthes conference organized by Chien Lee. Last week Chien Lee met me in Jakarta. He was judge the first nepenthes competition in Indonesia. I'll send some pictures here as sson as possible

rgrds

Onny :wink:

Hi,

Nice pictures! You see it often that Nepenthes apairs to be a kind of pioneering species. Along a roadside west of Bau I have seen Nepenthes rafflesiana with pitchers where I could stick my hand into! It looks that there on that picture is also a N. rafflesiana 'giant'.

Best regards,

Alexander

Hi all thanks for the reply.

alexandra, i quite agreed with you that at 9"-10" in length they are on the way to be in the giant category if they continue to develop. I hasn't found any 12" and beyond in length. There definitely are around in some of the undisturbed zones within the logging area. Having visited Bau and passing to see raff by the roadside you know what i mean.

Yes,thanks onny.Do post more from your side.