A "paradoxical" D. paradoxa

Pyro

So D. paradoxa supposedly gets its name form the fact that it does not go dormant like others in the petiolaris group.

Why then is this plant doing the in-ward spiral of reduced leaves that is indicative of dormancy for this group?

Guess it is a paradox of a paradox.

PB210011.jpg

PB210010.jpg

PB210005.jpg

Pyro, funny you should post this topic as my 3 or 4 clones have been doing the same thing! They appear to be either going into dormancy or semi-dormancy state. I've even killed one of mine! I thought paradoxa was supposed to be easy and foolproof!

I continue to be both fascinated and frustrated with this group of plants. The in and out of dormancy is perplexing when you have 2 of the same plants in the same growing environment, and 1 is dormant and the other is not!

Oh well....

Does anyone else find the same situation?

Peter.

Hi Travis,

The aff.paradoxa swamp form from Theda Station goes into dormancy for me. The paradoxa from Mt.Bomford and 100km north of Drysdale River Station stays in growth if kept warm. The plant you have pictured is very likely the aff.paradoxa swamp form from Theda Station, which is a smaller and more compact grower than my other paradoxa forms. The flowers are white with red to orange stigma unlike my paradoxa from Mt.Bomford and 100km north Drysdale River Station, which have pink flowers. I suspect that this plant is also labeled as "paradoxa mini" etc. by others although it was originally labeled as aff.paradoxa.

This form will also produce semi-upright rosettes as it forms a stem slowly over time. The plant will produce golden traps when going into dormancy and will have very yellow traps. The rosette will become much more compact during dormancy.

All the best,

Michael

Hey Michael,

This was given to me as Swamp x Bumford. So perhaps it is either 1) not really and intraspecific hybrid but the result of a selfing of Swamp or 2) the Swamp trait is dominant in this plant. None of my others of this cross have shown the dormancy trait, of course that is not to say they won't just that they have yet to.

I thought that the reason it was named D. paradoxa was because some plants in a population formed tall stems and others did not. I could be wrong though.....

My plants of the Mt. Bomford form go dormant in winter. I don't grow any others.

This colony was started from seeds in 2004. I haven't a clue as to what cultivar they might be. Can anyone identify them? To my perception, these guys never went dormant even though they have been window sill plants, thus the rise and fall of seasonal photoperiod, along with inside fluctuations of temperature. They flower most of the year if I allow them.

AR000102.jpg

I thought that the reason it was named D. paradoxa was because some plants in a population formed tall stems and others did not. I could be wrong though....

Depends on who you talk to. I have heard this stem forming being the cause of the name. I have heard that it is because it never goes dormant and I have heard that it is because for a long time Lowrie thought it might be an annual because the original population site he was looking at never seemed to have adult plants from year to year, only seedings. Turns out the site was a wash and the adults from previous years were getting washed away each year by heavy floods.

If Lowrie cou post I am sure he'd set it all straight but rumor has it he does not email/internet so I guess that leaves it all specualtion