Sign in to follow this  
Moritz

U. buntingiana

Hi there,

I just found some pictures of this plant, ocuring in the web. The flower looks like campbelliana, only in another colour, white-creame.

Does somebody has some informations, about this fascinating species ?

Regards, Moritz

Guest Utriculus

Hehe, no info at all as far as I know. I know most of us Utri lovers are anxiously waiting for this species to come into cultivation. But in a LEGAL way ;)

I agree with Utriculus, we Utricophiles really want it. But I don't even know of anyone in the area who could do a collection. Maybe Fernando knows someone??

From my own research on the species, what Taylor says and my experience with the rest of the group I would think this plant is closer to praetermissa than campbelliana.

U.buntingiana's type specimen was collected from Henri Pittier National Park, Caribbean coastal range not far from Caracas. Another localities is known from Paraguana Peninsula, also in Venezuela.

And Taylor also lists a third site as being some 300km to the west in Edo. Falcon (Sierra de San Luis)

Elevation range for the plant is said to be 830-1775m

Sounds like another nice species from that area, interestingly nobody seems to have collected it although plenty of people have found plants of other species in those (at least Henry Pittier N.P.) areas and introduced them into cultivation, like the large U.alpina form.

As far as I know it hasn't been seen since the collections mentioned in Taylor. So it would be awesome if someone has re-discovered it. But I'll believe it when I see it. ;)

Fernando

As far as I know it hasn't been seen since the collections mentioned in Taylor. So it would be awesome if someone has re-discovered it. But I'll believe it when I see it. ;)

Fernando,

Aren't you due for one of your 'discover-long-lost-species' adventures? The U. buntingiana range within VZ is a lot smaller than the areas you explored in Brazil ....

• Like 1