Sign in to follow this  
flycatchers

Drosophyllum lusitanicum dieback?

Hi

My largest Drosophyllum lusitanicum (2 years old) now has three growing points with the bases now becoming more woody. Two of the growing points look great with new growth and loads of dew. The third growing point has looked good, but has now lost most of its dew and even the new leaves are starting to droop somewhat. The last plant that exhibited this died soon afterwards.

As this particular growing point is coming from the original stem and the other growing points look fine, is it likely to be just a localised dieback with the main plant being ok- or curtains to the whole plant? What do you think?

cheers

bill

My 2 year old motherplant died this September aswell by rotting I guess the roots were kept too wet :(

Luckily I have seedlings....

I personally have always experienced the dead of the whole plant after it started to rott (at first only in an individual part). It always moved on killed the whole plant.

I can't tell about your plant but I think it might be the same.

If one part is still at full health it might be an option (or worth a try) to cut away the rotting part and saving the wound by burning it or use coal power for desinfection.

If the die-back is slow and "dry" then I'd let it be without cutting for the time being and see whether it stabilizes--it may be a localized die-back.

If the tip is dying-back quickly and is "wet/soft" you may want to consider cutting it back to viable tissue (with a wide margin) and cover the cut with sulfur, because this may be rot.

Hope the plant pulls-through.

Hi

Thanks for your advice I examined the dieing growing point and it certainly was going soft brown halfway up. So I removed it. Lower down this stem it was still green inside. Why do you think the stem might start rotting halfway up, as that suggests it is not caused by getting too wet at the roots?

However the survival of this plant is unlikely as I them had a moment of madness and toppled the pot over!!!! :lol:

So if it was unhappy before it will be flipping mad now :lol: My cats gave me a very resigned look!! :roll: HO HUM....

cheers

bill

Oh boy, a bad infection(?), emergency amputation, and now a nasty fall. 2006 hasn't been a good year for that poor plant.

As for why the stem rotted half-way up, there's no way to know why. However, sometimes a plant that doesn't like it's conditions or that has an underlying illness may be prone to local die-back if the tissue is damaged even slightly.

Good example is my poor H. heterodoxa x minor. The plant looked great and I had it for 4 years. One day, I noticed one of the pitchers was yellowing and during the process of cutting it off, I scratched another pitcher with the knife. I kept the pitcher on because usually a disfiguring brown scar forms at the site of such scratch marks (with the pitcher surviving). However, the pitcher rotted back quickly. The plant revolted whenever it was moved, touched, and sometimes the pitchers would die back partially. Finally, the plant died and when I took it out of the pot, I noticed ROOT MEALIES. They had been sucking the life out of the plant, but the plant was able to collect enough nutrients/light to balance the infestation--until a minor insult tipped it over the edge.

That's the end of my sad story. Hope your plant turns out better.