Nepenthes vieillardii

wasted

ladies and gents..

not often i have to ask a question here due to the vast amount of usefull information on the site but.....

Ive read conflicting information regarding Nepenthes vieillardii, some say its a highlander, some say its a lowlander..

Ive read it grows from 30-800 metres (which i guess would be lowland) but ive also seen it listed as a highland plant (ie. under the seeds section on triffidnurseries)

I only really grow highlanders but im looking to grow this as its the only nep from New Caledonia and I would like to grow at least one from each country.

Any clues on this anyone?

Cheers...

Wasted

:?

Hi

I grow mine under hard highland conditions and they do just fine. They may grow faster under lowland conditions but certainly show none of the stress "true lowland" might display when grown under highland conditions.

I keep mine sitting in a saucer of water in the summer which it seems to like. 8)

cheers

bill

I grow mine (all red) as a lowlander and, based on the other replies here, I'd say it's very flexible in its requirements but a slow grower under any conditions. Mine looks healthy and probably has more live pitchers at a time than any of my other lowlanders, but it is still the slowest grower.

Hi,

I have just ordered a vieillardii from malesiana tropicals and they list the plant as lowland/highland. MT description:

"Native to New Caledonia where it occurs at high altitudes in wind-swept areas. .... A slow-growing species requiring a cool to medium temperatures"

If I am not mistaken there was an article written on this plant's habitat a few years back in this forum. According to the author, N. vieillardii trives on harsh environment. It favours open sunny and well drained areas. ........The slightest shade will slow its growth.

In any case I will be growing it in humid tropical condition.

Choong