How to grow gemmae

dionaea_2006

HI! I sow some gemmae in pure sand and I put them in my terrarium.

I want to know if you use to spray water in the surface or not because in another pot, outside of my house I lost many of gemmae, I think because the surface was not enough damp.

Is necessary to spray or not?

Which is your method to grow gemmae?

Thank you!

my new gammae i just got today are on different medias(to see which grows best) some are on 2:1:1 sand peat perilite. some are on a 2:2:1 peat sand and LFS and another group is on pure live sphagnum... ill announce what my outcome is when they awaken.

Alex

Thank you glider14! Anyway I didn't use only sand but many mix: the first one only peat, then 1:1 peat:sand then, the last one (on the surface), only sand.

The problem is that many gemmae died!So I don't know if is for the pure sand on the surface or because they needed of spray on them.

I've never sprayed them.

Only sand on the surface is a big mistake. Peat absorb water, not sand. Your gemmae simply dried out, like mine. I don't know why in Italy there is the brilliant tradition to put pure peat at the bottom of the pot (peat which rot in a few months) and pure sand at the top (which never hydrate completely)

• 3 weeks later...

Use only the sand (or better quartz-sand) on the top of the pot is the ideal, because when the gemmae become plants, they don't rot at the base.

But if you use only peat, when the gemmae become plants, they risk to rot at the base.

The only drawback is when you put the gemmae on the pure quartz-sand, you must spray water at least twice a day, otherwise they dry and... DIE!!

This is only my modest opinion...