Dewy Pine?

Wolfster1972

I use a mixture of perlite, sharp sand and vermiculite. 1:1:1. The plants grow well in that mix and no peat is necessary. Just scarify the seeds with a bit of wet and dry, just enough to take the very top surface off of the seed. Don't rub them down too far you could damage the seed pulp inside. After scarifying I put the seeds into a small container of rainwater and leave them to soak for 5 days before putting them into the pot they will grow in permanently to germinate. While they are germinating they need to be kept very wet. Once the plantlets are growing they need to be kept a litltle drier. They don't need a cold dormancy, but they do tolerate the cold with out any problems, they don't even seem to struggle and just keep on growing.

The water is the thing you need to try to get right. Too wet and the plants are likely to die after flowering, often before seed has been set. Too dry and the plant will collapse. There is no really simple way with Drosophyllum it is a matter of working out what is best in your conditions. I water the plant about 2-3 times a week in the summer and once every week in the winter months, but depending on how warm or cold it is that can vary. Water from the bottom and don't get the plant stem wet, they hate being wet around the collar.

Good luck. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

i never treied GA3, but have made the experience, that D. lusitanicum easily germinates - it's just a maater of time. I just place several seeds on the surface of a 5cm square pot, that is filled with peat. As soon as i see the seeds germinating, i repot them into their final pot. As Substrate i use a mix of sand and peat.

Christian