Growing Nepenthe around the house

hi guys, I found this cool link about growing Nepenthes in South Californica, to bad we can't grow them the same way as he...

http://www.venturalink.net/~maxxpaxx/nepenthesathome.htm

• 1 month later...

Hiya,

I have a similar site, Nepenthes for Everyone - http://hmckellar.customer.netspace.net.au, inspired by Joel's site that you mentioned, but I am based in Sydney, Australia. It's still being constructed, it's very basic as I have very basic html software, and my collection can't rival Joel's, but it is meant as an encouragement to those who think these plants are high maintenance.

Hamish

Hiya,

I have a similar site, Nepenthes for Everyone - http://hmckellar.customer.netspace.net.au, inspired by Joel's site that you mentioned, but I am based in Sydney, Australia. It's still being constructed, it's very basic as I have very basic html software, and my collection can't rival Joel's, but it is meant as an encouragement to those who think these plants are high maintenance.

Hamish

You have a nice site there Hamish. I have visited a few times. One curious thing though, when I do I always get a box telling me it is downloading Japanese text support for IE! When I cancel this I can see your site perfectly and have not encountered any Japanese so far! 8) Any ideas why that should happen??

cheers

bill

Ah yes. The short answer to that is that I work for a Japanese company and use a Japanese operating system as I do some of my work in Japanese. When I created my website on my laptop, it used Japanese encoding, rather than Western (I didn't realise this until I logged in on my home site). I would love to fix it, but it would mean redoing the entire site....

Steve,

Thank you very much, I did that and it seems to have done the trick, although for some odd reason some of the pages have dropped out their photos, but that's easily fixed. I'm glad there's someone around here who knows what he's on about to give trogs like me a hand :-)

Hamish

• 3 months later...

Nepenthes around the house.

nphilipoldclone.jpg

nsuma3.jpg

nmulu3.jpg

For newcomers go to the photo area and click away.

Click here: http://www.venturalink.net/~maxxpaxx/photos.htm

For users who have been there before, the flaming pics are new.

Click the homepage button when you are there for info.

Brad

Ventura California

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Brad

What can i say,an amazing collection =P~

The Dyeriana above is fantastic,hard to get in the UK but Geoff mansell

said that it will be about later in the year so we will have to see 8)

Bye for now Julian

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest IceDragon

Good'ol Joel. He convinced me to grow my neps outdoors. At first they were doing great but I had a heat wave that burned the leaves of my spatulata. >_< anyway is 75% shade cloth too much for neps?

I use 75% shadecloth (from mid-spring to early autumn) and it is perfect for Neps. Most Nep species grow in exposed areas so can cope with fairly strong sun, but only where there's very high humidity. If you're growing them outdoors in a temperate climate, then 50-75% shadecloth is ideal. In winter, due to the short photoperiod, I grow all my neps in full sun.

Hamish

I remember in neps around the house, there was a photo of a large terraium under the sun. in it was a nep that i really liked but never asked to identify. now i cant find the pic, does anyone know where it is or has it been removed. or could i be thinking of some other site? thanks. Zongyi

I'm in Sydney, fairly close to the coast. There's a link to the temperature averages on my site.

90F is about 32C, 100F is over 37C. The answer to your question is it very rarely gets above 32 (maybe 10-15 times a year), and even rarer above 35 (a couple of times a year).