U.reflexa in Zambia

Hi guys

In late September & early October, Andreas Flesichmann & I were in Zambia exploring for CPs. Below are some pics of one of the most fantastic discoveries of this trip, the aquatic U.reflexa. It grows in shallow water in seepages in savanna areas.

Look at the backside of the yellow flowers, how hairy they are. These were sometimes short & white; other times long & red.

Most fascinating though were the HUGE traps. These were completely unexpected, as Peter Taylor does not really mention them in his book. Unlike the large traps of U.humboldtii, these were very stiff and great fun to play with (tripping the trigger hairs using little twigs)! I even discovered it was possible to reset the traps by squeezing the water out with my fingers!!

U.jpg

U-1.jpg

U-2.jpg

U-3.jpg

U-4.jpg

U-5.jpg

Enjoy,

Fernando Rivadavia

HiFernando,

thanks for these interesting informations and pics!

Thinking of u. vulgaris and what lage prey it can catch (e.g. mosquito larvae - more than twice the length of the traps), I wonder what the biggest victims of these plants may be - at least small fishes I guess. Have you observed any larger prey in the traps?

Regards

Martin

Excellent report and pictures as always Fernando!

Thanks for share with us.

Have you seen some killifishes?

The genus Nothobranchius live in temporary ponds in Zambia.

Maybe the young Nothob. is one of the U. reflexa prey.

Best regards

Hi guys,

Cool plant, huh? ;) We didn't see any prey in these huge traps. Nor did we see any fish swimming around them. Maybe because it was late dry season?

Take Care,

Fernando Rivadavia