Various pics [Update][again][and again]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm really happy to read all this, thanks to you !

As some of you told me, let me tell you how I'm working.

I use a Nikon D70 with the Nikkor 60mm 2.8D micro. It's a macro lens able to make 1:1 close-up (in fact it's bigger again due to the 1,5X siez factor between film and CCDs).

The most importanr for me, to make great pics, is the control of light. That's why I use 2 cordless macro speedlights. They're controled by the built-in flash of the D70, or buy the SB800 (that allow different power groups), or even by the SU800 controller.

I always work in Manual mode, so I can control the shutter speed and the apperture at the same time. The apperture should always be between F/8 and F/11 (better sharpness), and up to F/22 when big depth of field's needed. If I want black background or if there's no background, I work with high shutter speed (like 1/200 to 1/500). If I need the background to appear, I have to slowdown, and/or raise the apperture.

I always manualy focus. I made an approximative focus with the focus ring, I keep the breath and make the final focus by moving the whole body. That's the only way to make perfectly clear and sharp photographs. (I just speak about macrophotography !)

Finaly, I always shoot in RAW mode, and edit the files in Nikon Capture. The RAW (*.nef) advantage is that you can adjust many parameters that would be impossible with the jpg, like white balance. I often enhance sharpness by using the unsharp mask.

But all this settings help to make a great photograph a perfect photograph, but a bad one will still a bad one.

If you have any question, don't hesitate :D

(and saleable too...)

Really ? To whom ? If you have any suggestion about saling photos, that would interest me.

Andreas, if I was fortunate I'd buy you new eyes and a new cam. :D

Bisous :D

Oh, I forgot : always be self critic about your work. That's te only way to progress !

Happy shooting !

I need to thank you for that explanation about the photos.

:D

I need to try that "tecnique" with my 350D. Your pic's just make me fell the irresistible need of a macro lens :D :!:

That seed macro are just "breathtaken", and the last one, white background and drosera glue .. Unreal :!: :!:

:D Some of the best shots in the Internet are in this POST ....

tks again

Wow ! Thank you !

I forgot to tell you I'm using extension tube set for the closer shots. It's three tube that works exactly like a lens, and allow you to take away the lens from the DSLR bdy. The result is huge close up. I use it for flowers detail, drosera or byblis glue, utric traps....

As there's no lens in it, there's no optical loses but the in-view is darker and time exposure longer.

Kiwi Earl wrote:

(and saleable too...)

Really ? To whom ? If you have any suggestion about saling photos, that would interest me.

There are many options for selling photographic images, if they are of quality.

1) You can sell them to photo stock libraries that then have the rights to sell them on to others as needed. These are the sort of companies that sell images to print media such as magazines and newspapers - often you will see the same images pop up all over the place. This is a pretty crappy option unless you have an ongoing relationship with such a business, have a large portfolio and produce lots of images of saleable quality so you can make money. This is a very high end, professional environment, generally.

2) You can set up your own business marketing your own images. As the copyright remains yours you are entitled to ongoing royalties.

3) Enter quality contests and exhibit your work to gain a profile that will bring interest from the market place.

4) There are a number of on-line image stock agencies that you can sell your images through. The images must be of very high quality ie, low noise etc. Pricing of images is vital to ensure sales. The photographer makes a commission from each sale of the image. Do a search for more details.....

Done correctly with a realistic sense of your own work, this last option can prove very successful. The agencies are very particular with respect to the quality of images and will not take just any old photos. This is a guide to how good you shots are.

There are a good number of professional photographers around the world who make use of these agencies very successfully rather than relinquish their images to option 1).

There are loads of publications and advertising media out there who are looking for 'just the right image'.

It is, of course, something of a 'dog eat dog' world out there, with millions of people involved.......

Others on the forum may have some additional ideas....