October photos (Drosera, neps etc )

Hi,

Here are some photos from my collection.

octboschiana.jpg

First carnivorous leaf on N. boschiana.

octmirabilis.jpg

Ditto N. mirabilis. Notice the grey fuzz on the medium, here as well as on the bosch photo. Looks like botrytis (?) or something. I will certainly have to keep a look out so they don't wipe out all the seedlings. I am a bit worried to use a fungicide, since I don't know how sensitive the seedling are to it.

octreinwardtiana.jpgoctdrosophyllum.jpg

N. reinwardtiana is a bit slower. Although Drosophyllum seeds are large I was surprised to see how big (and fast) these seedling were (3 cm tall already). Two-three days before this pic was taken they had not yet germinated.

octveitchiissamba.jpgoctrafflesiana.jpg

Two of the first neps I got several years ago. Actually, the original plants have since then died down, but luckily they left some small basal rosettes behind. The N. veitchii (Sungai Samba) also was the first to flower for me. This is one of the smaller survivors. The N. rafflesiana (Bako) has been a problematic plant for me, dieing down - looking poor. The young plant with this pitcher looks promising though.

octyuccado1713.jpgoctparadoxa.jpg

P. sp Yucca Do ABG 1713, and D. paradoxa (Drysdale River)

octtamatave.jpg

D. sp. Tamatave thought to be D. burkeana, but looks to me like something from the D. natalensis complex.

octburkeana.jpg

My old form of D. burkeana looks different as can be seen, especially the petioles.

octaliciae.jpg

D. aliciae (Cape Peninsula)

octcommunis.jpg

D. communis (Jacaraci) with lots of rosettes appearing around it. The four specimens in this pot are also sending up flower stalks. Although I grow them indoors under lights it gets a bit cooler in autumn/winter, which might be what triggered them. As they sit in a bag (high humidity) I don't expect to see flowers though, usually the flower stalks wither.

octkenneallyi.jpg

D. kenneallyi (Fog Bay) which strangely are prospering right now.

octspatulatahk.jpg

A poor photo, but I just wanted to show how different these two Hong Kong forms of D. spatulata look. The Shek O form on the left and Pok Fu Lam on the right.

Regards,

Christer

Thanks both of you,

François,

N. boschiana and N. mirabilis started to germinate after 18-19 days, and N. reinwardtiana needed a couple of days more.

Jeremy,

Yes, I agree this forms is rather nice with the two different reds on the green background. The dark area in the top part of the neck is nice touch too. Hopefully I will get it to adult size this time, as I am really interested too see what this form is supposed to look like.

Regards,

Christer

Hi Christer,

I don't think anybody produces Drosera looking as nice as you do. Fantastic plants and photos as always.

I think I may need to consider placing my indoor plants within plastic bags.

Sean.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Vash,

Nothing fancy, I just put the pot in a freezer bag (most see-through, you can find) and close the top. Stable environment, low maintenance (not having to water for weeks) are benefits. Also, it is easy to move plants to cooler or warmer places.

Not much for display though, with lots of ugly bags sitting around :lol: I'm sure some light exposure is lost because of the bag too, but so far the plants colour up quite well anyway. Also, because of the space considerations it is best for small/young plants.

Regards,

Christer