Lowe's CP dormancy

glider14

ok. for those of you who live in the US, you are probably familiar with the Lowe's cubes aka Cubes of death. for most of these CP's, they have come out of TC. would it be ok to give them a dormancy now? considering they havent gone through dormancy before... i plan not to keep them outside(zone 6-far to cold) but in a fridge...is it ok to put them in the fridge instead?

Alex

They may not be ready for dormancy. They have been growing in a artificial environment (TC lab/greenhouse/store/whatever) and may not be synched into the season change yet. I would just let them grow myself, but you are the one that has the plants and can see how they are growing. That will be the determining factor. Also, do all the plants in the cube require a dormancy? There's no pings mixed in with VFTs for instance.

Have you been growing them outside? If so, how long? I've never tried the fridge method but i've only heard negative feedback. If you're going to give them dormancy it'd probably be best to give them a sheltered place outside where they get light. If I was a plant, I'd hate to be stuck in a fridge at constant temps and no light for months.. :D It's especially risky if they just got out of perfect conditions of TC. Straight from perfect growth to 35-40F and no light.

i know!!! what my question is, is that if you these CPs from lowes(the ones that need dormancy!!) should ahve one this year?!

Alex

I hear ya. I've purchased dormancy requiring plants from Lowes and Home Depot in the fall and I have allowed nature (decreased photoperiod and lower temps) to put them through dormancy.

Have you been growing them outside? If so, how long? I've never tried the fridge method but i've only heard negative feedback. If you're going to give them dormancy it'd probably be best to give them a sheltered place outside where they get light. If I was a plant, I'd hate to be stuck in a fridge at constant temps and no light for months.. :D It's especially risky if they just got out of perfect conditions of TC. Straight from perfect growth to 35-40F and no light.

well considering i live in kentucky which is zone 6. its not going to be very easy to keep them alive... we've alredy have had 3 mornings of frost and most of my plants are in total shock. our winters get below freezing for days at a time. i have had these for about a week now and all are doing good......so far. :D any ideas i could use so i could keep them outside without killing them AND getting sun for a natural dormancy?

Alex

EDIT: is there a reason my S. flava arent producing ANY phyllodia??

Alex, how old is your flava? Some of my younger plants have gone through years of not producing any phyllodia. as they have matured they started producing them every winter. I have some third year seedlings now that are still not producing any phyllodia, they still manage to get through the winter and suffer the cold just the same as the adults. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Alex, how old is your flava? Some of my younger plants have gone through years of not producing any phyllodia. as they have matured they started producing them every winter. I have some third year seedlings now that are still not producing any phyllodia, they still manage to get through the winter and suffer the cold just the same as the adults. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

On my flava I only have couple leaves like this

flavaur1.th.jpg

Doesn't look like any phyllodia photos I've seen :?

mine has nothing even close to that...what really confuses me with this plant is how small its pitchers are now... i know it has tons of offshoots and such but the main growth point is basically gone...the biggest "new" pitcher is about 3cm tall...there are tons of them too. ill get pics tomarrow of them

Alex

Alex

if your plant is only producing pitchers of 6-7 inches at the biggest then it is a long way from mature yet. When mature you would normally expect pitchers around 2ft tall on a flava. The biggest pitchers are always earlier in the year so the fact that it is producing small pitchers now is nothing to worry about, it is just a sign that the plant is going into dormancy, even without phyllodia. Give it a year or two and it will produce phyllodia as it should.

I_pereira

Are you certain your plant is a [flava? oreophila are known to produce curved phllodia like that, flava usually produce straight swordlike phyllodia. It could just be that your plant is a little different from the normal flavas. Have you got any pictures of the pitchers?

Ivo, most definitely flava. It is still young though looking at the size of the pitchers. It may start producing straighter phyllodia in a year or two and if it doesn't I wouldn't worry, it looks a nice healthy plant.