Nepenthes jamban - introducing a new species

Borneo

:D Here are some photos of Nepenthes jamban, a newly described highland species from Indonesia. Discovered by Ch'ien Lee, this amazing species is in cultivation now. So far it seems to be a vigorous and easy grower and also a prolific producer of pitchers, which is good news for everyone!

Appropriately, 'jamban' is the Indonesian word for 'toilet' :D

More and better photos are available on Ch'ien's website www.wildborneo.com.my

PLEASE NOTE - these photos are copyrighted. Please contact either Ch'ien or myself if you wish to reproduce them.

clp095022.jpg

Intermediate pitchers in habitat

cld04120220.jpg

Upper pitcher in habitat

clp095004.jpg

Lower pitcher in habitat

cld04120202.jpg

Intermediate pitcher in habitat

clp095035.jpg

Upper pitcher in habitat

clp095037.jpg

Upper pitchers in habitat

And great photos, too! I just visited Chien's web site and I am totally impressed. I only can recommend anyone to visit this site!

Thanks for sharing, Rob. Though I am no nepenthes enthusiast, this species is a very derirable plant. But "easy to grow"... :D well for an experienced nepenthes grower perhaps,or if you live in Borneo ...

Regards

Martin

And great photos, too! I just visited Chien's web site and I am totally impressed. I only can recommend anyone to visit this site!

Thanks for sharing, Rob. Though I am no nepenthes enthusiast, this species is a very derirable plant. But "easy to grow"... :D well for an experienced nepenthes grower perhaps,or if you live in Borneo ...

Regards

Martin

Ch'ien's a talented photographer - no doubt about it....and I wish I still did live in Borneo but I'm now in Sri Lanka which is also a great place to be - despite what you may hear.

Thanks for showing the photos. You say it is vigorous grower, do you know from which altitude it grows, highland bordering to intermediate or in the higher range? The other species (on Ch'iens web site) was rather nice looking too, if not as spectacular.

Regards,

Christer

I wonder if you could grow one in the brutal heat of Miami..

Probably not! We've found it grows well at 25 deg C max day down to 13 deg C min night, although it may be OK outside those ranges. Miami would be OK if you want to cook it and serve it as a very rare entre..

Humidity above 70% and lots of light seems to do the trick. Here's a photo I took this morning of the largest of the seedlings we have growing under those conditions:

N_jamban_largest.jpg

Hi Rob

I didn't see N. jamban when I visited your nursery last month. I think It happened because you made me drank with a lot of species and big pitcher in Nuwara Eliya :D

Warm regards to Chien Lee

Onny :D