Drosophyllum Lusitanicum

esgalha

As far as I know it doesn't have something to do with the soil.

D. lusitanicum has a quite sensitive root system and when you transplant the plants the roots will be disturbed.

You can try to tranplant it if you try to keep as much soil around the roots as possible - maybe the plant will not notice it...

Cheers,

Markus

You may get away with transplanting the whole lot soil and plant while the plant is very young without the plant noticing too much, but once it gets to a good size, more than two or three inches tall, the roots spread right to the edges and bottom of the pot in their search for water. They grow very quickly and ANY root disturbance at all at this size and above will kill the plant.

It is easiest to plant the seeds in the pot the plant will spend its whole life in. A small plant in a large pot may look a bit silly for a while but the plant will soon fill it. I have found the bigger the pot the bigger the plant will be and you will never have to worry about disturbing the roots.

When the plant flowers you just need to poke around in the centre of each flower with a toothpick or cocktail stick to spread the pollen onto the stamen and ensure getting a good crop of seeds. If you don't they still produce seed but you get a lot less. Then you just leave the seed to ripen, when the pod starts to split, the seed is ready to be harvested. It only takes a few weeks from flower to harvest.

Stephen, I only changed my username very recently, so your observation skills are not that bad :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
It is easiest to plant the seeds in the pot the plant will spend its whole life in. A small plant in a large pot may look a bit silly for a while but the plant will soon fill it. I have found the bigger the pot the bigger the plant will be and you will never have to worry about disturbing the roots.

One trick I've used is to sow a seed in a 3"x3" peat-pot. Once the seed germinates and the seedling is 1-2" tall, you can place the peat pot into a terra-cotta (which can then be slack-potted or not) or plastic pot. This way, you avoid wasting a large amount of growing space on a seed that may or may not germinate: not a big concern for those who grow their plants outside or in a greenhouse, but more important for those who grow their plants indoors on grow racks.

When the plant flowers you just need to poke around in the centre of each flower with a toothpick or cocktail stick to spread the pollen onto the stamen and ensure getting a good crop of seeds.

Sheila, do your plants die after flowering and producing seed?

Ken

So far mine have survived flowering without any problems. I lost one two year old plant after using provado on it in the early spring two years ago, but that was around 7 months after flowering.

• 3 weeks later...