Which type of T5?

I am going to buy few T5 lamps, appropriate for my cp collection (mainly for heliamphoras), but I haven't got any experience in this case, so I don't know which type of T5 would be the best.

I've found the following special T5 lamps for plants:

- AquaMedic Planta

- Sylvania Gro-lux

- Arcadia Plant Pro

Which mentioned T5 would be the most suitable?

Or maybe should I mix/use another type(s)?

I would use standard tubes like 830 & 860. They are cheap and have a high light effiency, most special tubes only filter the "unworthy" spectral lines or use inefficient phosphors to create a spectrum suitable for plants. As the plants will ignore the rest of the spectrum use the high output standard bureau types. I have Osram tubes and I am very satisfied!

Hi,

I use 55WATT TriPlus T5 tubes (3,600 Lumen).

Which I find give off plenty of the blue and red end of the spectrum which plants can use well.

I did try the Daylight tubes, but they just gave off a very green light which the plants cant use at all!

:wavey:

Langy

I did try the Daylight tubes, but they just gave off a very green light which the plants cant use at all!

Langy

Hello Langy :D !

How long did you use those daylight tubes? And what were the symptoms showing that your plants couldn't use the greenish light?

Generally speaking, i always wondered what is the lengh of time suitable to assert that a kind of lighting setup is counterproductive.

For example, i, once, had to wait for almost 6 months to see a drastic change in my plants (Heliamphora) features after changing the kind of tubes (I replaced biolux for 110 W fluocompact).

Friendly,

François.

I think T5 should have almost as high colour temperature (K) as possible. Is it right opinion? I compare it to the light requirements for stony corals that I am keeping - I use 10 000 K HQI and blue actinic lamps. The corals highly appreciate this combination, so the plants also would like T5 lights with similar properties (Kelvins).

Gert Hoogenstrijd has written to me that the PL lights are better than TL. Does any other person also has some experience with them?

Hello Palpatine :wink: !

I think T5 develop more than 6000 K.

You should ask Matthias Teichert, member of this board. He uses those tubes for his Heliamphora, stating that his sunpitchers produce more colorful pitchers that way.

See here:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.p...p;&start=18

Friendly,

François.

Hi,

i have finished the Setup for my Terra a few days ago. I was not sure what Kind of Light i should buy, so i emailed Matthias Teichert and asked for his Light-Setup. He told me he uses Lightcolors 865 and 840 mixed 1:1.

I bought 4 x 54 Watt T5 Tubes with the recommended Lightcolors for a 120 x 40 x 50 cm Terrarium.

best Regards, Rolf

p.s: sorry for my bad english