Pitcher stem going brown?

Lazz

Hi all

I have a *new* Flava which is of a good length and has only opened up (half open at the moment) within the last day or two, yet already for some reason about 3/4 up its stem there is a brown patch. Is this natural or could something be wrong?

Is it pale brown and slightly translucent? I very occasionally get something like that on new pitchers. It doesn't do any harm, but I don't know what causes it :?:

I know what you mean about the slightly translucent brown, but it isn't that.

pitchernew.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality. Didn't realised it had focused on the wrong part but hopefully you will see what I mean.

Is it pale brown and slightly translucent? I very occasionally get something like that on new pitchers. It doesn't do any harm, but I don't know what causes it :?:

Hi Alexis,

Its a fungus called Colletotrichum. I had some samples sent to DEFRA and they basically said to control it was to remove affected pitchers, and disinfect the scissors with every cut. If it reappears, forget the plant and throw it away. The spores are also tranported by water splash.

Guest Sheila

Lazz, to get your camera to focus on the subject, just put your hand or something large directly behind the pitcher you want to take the photo of so that it is just touching it, then if you half depress the shutter button, the camera will focus on that instead of the background, once it has focused you can move your hand out of the shot ( being careful not to move the camera) and press the button all the way. Then your plant should be clear and the background will be blurred. :shock:

Hi Alexis,

Its a fungus called Colletotrichum. I had some samples sent to DEFRA and they basically said to control it was to remove affected pitchers, and disinfect the scissors with every cut. If it reappears, forget the plant and throw it away. The spores are also tranported by water splash.

Hi Mike

Thanks for that. I think its occurred two or three times, but never on the same plant. I'll bear the hygienic advice in mind.