Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea in Switserland

Hi everyone,

Here are some pics I shot last week in Switserland, at one of the purpurea locations in the Alps.

Please enjoy, and don't start to discuss about the thing that they don't belong there ;) There for is another topic.

HPIM4720copyright.sized.jpg

HPIM4715copyright.sized.jpg

HPIM4714copyright.sized.jpg

HPIM4713copyright.sized.jpg

HPIM4712copyright.sized.jpg

HPIM4710copyright.sized.jpg

HPIM4709copyright.sized.jpg

The plants are propagating very well. In the whole bog I had to watch my step...everywhere were seedlings growing. Also millions of D. rotundifolia where covering the ground.

HPIM4708copyright.sized.jpg

HPIM4692copyright.sized.jpg

HPIM4686copyright.sized.jpg

HPIM4687copyright.sized.jpg

Also Pinguicula vulgaris was growing in the same bog. Not on the same place, the purpurea place is to wet for them I think...

HPIM4704copyright.sized.jpg

HPIM4703copyright.sized.jpg

It was a fantastic experience to see this all, I really have to go to the US of America to see the other Sarracenia's in habitat!

More pics can be found on my website.

Cheers!

Ries

Looks like a substantial population and as Alexis says, largely green. The colony may have been founded by a single individual, in which case the gene pool would be very limited

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you need glasses? :shock: Lol just kidding!

Yes, I mean the 1890's. There are thousands of plants there, and if you take a better look to the size of the plants, then you can tell that it would be impossible that they were planted out just 16-26 years ago...