pests killing my heliamphora and neps

Altair

Help, I don't know how but my terrarium has an infestation of rhizome worms. I don't know what they are but they make a hole on my plants rhizomes and start eating them from inside. I tried to use imidacloprid (confidor and provado) but it doesn't work.

I dont' want to lose my H. tatei, 2 of 5 growing points are already gone. My nepenthes lavicola probably has one inside. What can I do? Immersion is useless because water can't penetrate inside their small holes and they have plenty of oxigene here. :D

dsc05870kd9.th.jpg

dsc05877oh9.th.jpg

Guest Aidan

Imidacloprid usually kills most things. Have you tried application as a soil-drench? Although systemic, a spray application may not be good enough to get at the grub/caterpillar.

Otherwise, you may have to try digging them out by hand!

Imidacloprid usually kills most things. Have you tried application as a soil-drench? Although systemic, a spray application may not be good enough to get at the grub/caterpillar.

Otherwise, you may have to try digging them out by hand!

I watered the plant with confidor solution 3 days ago and today I rip a dead tatei rhizome and found the pest you see in the pic alive and happy.

If someone can identify them it'll be easier ti find a selective chemical product :D

Guest Sheila

How many legs has it got Vale? if it has just six (three pairs), it is most likely a beetle larvae of some kind. Caterpillars have six real legs as well but they also have what are called prolegs, which are not real legs but look like them, they are cylindrical rather than segemented and are used for gripping and walking, this gives them the appearance of having several pairs of legs.

OMG I found the pest name, they're probably Ephestia kuehniella larvae. I got them 2 years ago with the food of my birds. I've never tought they'll be dangerous for my plants too.

A friend tells me about bacillus thuringensis (Thuricide, Dipel) but i found it only on amazon.com. Anyone know where to buy it in europe?

• 2 months later...

after months of suffering, my tatei dies. Pests killed also all my huge 5 years old P. vallisneriifolia (you can see it in the second picture. :'(

The nepenthes lavicola stops producing pitchers but now it seem to be recovering quite well (near the prolifera in the second picture)