northiana size

hi all,passing by one of Bau town limestone hill which i came across another unsually huge size northiana with the lower but no upper pitcher. Expecting the upper will be as huge and colourful. Having seen many examples of northiana perhaps they have 2 or more form in term of pitcher size and colour.

This one has long leaves, long tendril,very close internode between leaves. Its "mouth" opening the size of my fist and very vibrant color.

DSC_0532.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

DSC_0548.jpg

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

Robert :D

Guest Christian Rudat

Hi Robert,

fantastic discovery. Unfortunately my N. northiana could not decide to pitcher, yet.

Nature always is the best gardener....

Cheers,

Christian

Gosh!!! :D

(Hello Robert! :D )

That pitcher is fantastic. The peristom colour is one of the nicest i ever seen.

Nepenthes northiana -though not the most elegant species- is one of my favourite.

I can only hope my small plant will one day grow half as beautiful as the one you took in pictures!

Besides, i have (just) one question Robert, if you don't mind. Does the northiana you discover grow in a sunny place, in mid-shade or even in deep shade?

Thanks for replying.

François.

Hello francois,it grows on the base of a hill slope facing the morining sun. which mean it receive sunlight till about 1.00pm when the sunlight will be blocked off by the hill. There are short grasses,trees and ferns providing shade but not completely blocking sunlight.

Robert