Bunnies!

vic brown

The first flower on my U. sandersonii 'Blue Flower' opened this week, thanks to Sean (Plantsman) for the start earlier in the year. He told me yesterday that he has been growing this clone since 1999 without flowers, so this is for Sean :). I haven't been growing it any differently than the rest of my small terrestrials, it is kept wet and gets lots of light (full sun for most of the afternoon).

Utricularia sandersonii 'Blue Flower'

sandblue.jpg

For comparison, here is the flower on my typical clone.

Utricularia sandersonii 'Typical'

sandtyp.jpg

Vic

Very nice Vic. I'll have to see if both of mine are still in flower so I can add onto your pics. :)

I still don't understand one thing about these two plants...why exactly is the blue flowered form refered to as the blue flowered form? Was the type form originally a fully white flower that crossed in the wild? They really could come up with a slightly better way of refering to it.

Perhaps 'Bluer Flower' would be a better name :shock:

Vic

Hehe, I like the way you think Vic. That actually would be a better name. The way the two flowers look, the typical form almost looks like a dwarfed form of the blue, and the blue just looks like an excentuated form of the type.