Hoping to buy a Sundew (advice appretiated)

Lazz

It may be scorching in the sun. sundews like a bit of warm sunshine but when they are not used to it, just like people they burn. It will most likely recover in a week or two once it gets used to the new conditions, capensis are pretty difficult to kill, but any other plants you put into your new greenhouse will need acclimatising gradually so they don't scorch.

Ok - I will keep it outside (and hope for the best).

It isn't really in direct sunlight though. Infact if anything it could be the sunlight that its lacking because the mini greenhouse is behind the shed and gets only a few hours of direct sunlight per day.

*edit* Since pictures speak a thousand words :)

The first pic is of the sundew a few days ago. Its the smaller one to the left side of the pot:

sundew1.jpg

Now....

capensis.jpg

what temperature did your greenhouse get to? if it is closed up in the sun it may have cooked your plant

Im not sure as I do not have a thermometer inside it. Though the zip up part of my greenhouse has been open since I got it.

Lazz, to be honest and no disrespect to Stephen, it looks worse that just sun damage. I've not read all of the posts on this thread, but it might be a good idea to check what medium the plant is growing in, what type of water you are uing and if your plant is being attacked by insects or mold that you have missed and not showing in the photo.

Alex

Lazz, to be honest and no disrespect to Stephen, it looks worse that just sun damage. I've not read all of the posts on this thread, but it might be a good idea to check what medium the plant is growing in, what type of water you are uing and if your plant is being attacked by insects or mold that you have missed and not showing in the photo.

Alex

I am using rain water

The soil itself is moss peat

After taking a look at it, theres certainly no visible signs of insects.

Guest Sheila
if anything it could be the sunlight that its lacking because the mini greenhouse is behind the shed and gets only a few hours of direct sunlight per day.

Lack of sunlight would not cause that sort of problem, believe me I have them coming up in plant pots that are in deep shade. It could just be a change of conditions and a bit of shock from being repotted. I honestly think that given a couple of weeks it will recover. If you manage to killl a capensis then there are several of us here who would love to know your secret of how it's done :D

My Oh My What drama!!!!!

I agree with Sheila, it will probably pull through!

If some reason it doesn't, then just give me a call and I will send you up some replacement plants FOC.

Its nice to see such a knowledge-hungry newbie so enthused with their plants and how best to grow them.

Andy

My Oh My What drama!!!!!

I agree with Sheila, it will probably pull through!

If some reason it doesn't, then just give me a call and I will send you up some replacement plants FOC.

Its nice to see such a knowledge-hungry newbie so enthused with their plants and how best to grow them.

Andy

Andy from Triffid Nurseries? If so, Hi!! :D

Hi Lazz

Most D. aliciae are about 4-6cm in diameterwhen fully grown. They do come bigger than this though. There are also some different flowered forms out there.

Andy

Ahh ok, sounds cool :)

Sometime in the not so distant future I will probably be ordering an Aliciae and Regia from you ;). I know Regia's can be quite tough to keep but thats part of the challenge :)

I like the Aliciae because it makes a change from capensis's with having flat leaves and I like the Regia because it has some really nice looking leaves and can catch larger prey.

Today I went to my big local garden centre and brought a VFT and capensis sundew. The sundew didn't look particularly healthy (no dew) but I decided that perhaps in good conditions it would do ok.

I then went to another, smaller local garden centre and they had several CP's including a butterwort, which I hadn't seen before (in the flesh). They had two very nicely developed capensis's. One of which was an Alba. I brought both - so now I have 5 capensis's :D

Familiar pattern I'm afraid. First 1 cp, then a visit to local Garden Centre, aquire a few more, then a few more the weekend after that, etc etc ...then you're hooked!!!

Sounds like you've caught the same bug as the rest of us on this Forum!!!

Just a little update by the way. It seems there might still be life in the capensis yet. Over the last few days I have noticed a new leaf that seems to be slowly growing. All the others have died off but hopefully if this one continues to grow, it is an indication that the plant is still alive. :)

I have heard from several places that capensis's have a very rapid (compared to other cp's) leaf movement to wrap around their prey. I read that sometimes it can be as quick as 12 hours.

Just before 6pm, my capensis caught an insect. 30 minutes later, the insect had unfortunately escaped but the leaf itself had folded over where the insect was.

So at the moment I am testing out the speed of a capensis leaf as I found a typical house fly in my mini greenhouse trying to get out, so I placed it on a healthy leaf and it was struggling. Just a few minutes later I have noticed early signs of the leaf beginning to bend inwards. This is quite cool for me as my indoor capensis seems to take at least a few hours before you notice it is curling.