A visit to Sarracenia Nurseries

We had an absolutely fantastic CPing time at the weekend. We managed to fit in visits to Mark Haslett (Essex Carnivorous Plants), Bill Sherren (in Kent) and Chris Crow (Sarracenia Nurseries).

Chris Crow bought Sarracenia Nurseries a few years ago (previously in Mill Hill, London) and now grows and sells plants under that name. A very experienced CP grower and enthusiast, he lives in Surrey and has one of the most awesome collections of Sarracenia in the UK. He prefers to sell wholesale, does not sell by post because of the hazards and time it involves and has a 9-5 job not involving plants! He is a very friendly chap and has plants for sale to fellow enthusiasts who make an appointment. If you are into Sarracenia and can pay a visit, do so - you will not leave empty handed! He grows some really stunning plants and it was an absolute pleasure to admire his collection.

Chris not only grows Sarras but just about everything else as well. He has CPs everywhere!

Imgp1700.jpg

Imgp1706.jpg

Imgp1694.jpg

Imgp1713.jpg

Imgp1711.jpg

For sale section

Imgp1691.jpg

Chris often uses a technique of survival of the fittest when selecting new plants from seed. Basically, he lets all the plants compete with each other (and D. binata!) so that only the most robust survive. You'll be hard pushed to find a floppy pitcher amongst his strong collection. Selling weak clones is quite a failing with some other Sarracenia vendors.

Imgp1708.jpg

When you have this many, who cares if you have bramble, too?

Imgp1712.jpg

The proud owner

Edited by jimfoxy
  • Like 1

OMG!! Urmm is it just me is there a giant VFT in the last but one picture.. or are those seedlings around the base of it??

The plant is not small but they are seedlings, yes. I suspect all from the same seed sown at the same time. Again, survival of the fittest.

Fantastic! It must take a bit of watering.

Chris has a semi-automatic (?!) watering system involving floats and piping. All he has to look out for is blocked pipes, dripping connections or stuck float switches. His water collection system is worth seeing.

It's a shame he doesn't do mail order. A bit of money in it for him probably, and great plants for us!

He tried it but got bad experiences with some people who didn't have a clue at how to look after the plants but said that they did, and then demanded their money back when their plant died after clearly being mistreated (or not even potted up weeks after delivery!). He cares about them too much to let them go to a bad home!

In addition, many people would email him asking for advice without any intention of buying any plants. Mind you, these days he could just send out a standard email pointing in the direction of this forum. It still takes time to read and reply, though.

Making people come to him or to the shows at which he exhibits usually means that only the dedicated (or lucky) make the effort; a good filtering process. Also, he has a family and 9-5 job and he looks after all those plants by himself! It takes a huge amount of time and effort to provide mail order. Maybe when he retires... :D

I went to the Tatton show on Saturday where P&J Gardner, Hampshire CPs and South West Carnivores were exhibiting. Alistair Pearce had a great sarracenia cultivar with a great name in the display - S.x 'Asbo'. The parentage is unknown, but he said it grew from wild seed and was possibly S.x catesbaei x flava red tube. It looked like an enormous S.x 'Copper Vase', but a much darker red. Very impressive.

• 4 years later...
Guest Lilliput Girl

Oh really? Do you know many people in London with a back garden that size? I think not?!! Especially in Mill Hill as it's a very expensive area! If you have not already guessed this is Michele Brady one of the former owners. I certainly would like to hear more of your views?????!!!!

I love the contrast between that rustic wood frames and the fresh vibrant graceful Sarracenia pitchers...Very nice image!!!

Oh really? Do you know many people in London with a back garden that size? I think not?!! Especially in Mill Hill as it's a very expensive area! If you have not already guessed this is Michele Brady one of the former owners. I certainly would like to hear more of your views?????!!!!

Hi Michele, welcome to CPUK. You will not hear any more views from Sheila on this 5 year old thread, she is no longer a member here, you can however find her here: www.insektenfang.com