P. orchidioides

Before reaching the P. conzattii and P. moranensis locations detailed earlier, Noah and I were lucky enough to hit upon a fairly large population of P. orchidioides growing along the road. Since we were approximately 140 km from the nearest recorded collection for this species, we were rather excited to see it in the wild earlier in our trip than we had planned.

_mg_3628_small.jpg

Since the weather was either overcast or overcast and foggy both times we visited the site and the sun was either blocked out or on the wrong side of the mountain, photography was more difficult than usual. As a result we have either flat shots taken in natural light, or my poor attempts with a handheld flash. If anyone has any lighting tips, preferentially those that cost and weigh little, I would love to hear them.

_mg_3539_small.jpg

_mg_3620_small.jpg

dsc04964_small.jpg

The flowers present were rather homogenous from clump-to-clump. Color was uniform except for two plants that had much lighter colored flowers than the rest.

_mg_3537_small.jpg

_mg_3535_small.jpg

Arguabably the most prominent feature of the species is its stolon or stolon-like growths, and the plants we saw had a profusion of these organs. These growths produced dense clumps of plants that were, presumably, the vegitative offspring of a single plant.

dsc04980_small.jpg

_mg_3560_small.jpg

In cultivation, my plant doesn't produce these organs in the manner I normally associate with stolons; it first produces what look like the gemmae of temperate Pinguicula species alongside its winter rosette, then, at the start of the growing season, the gemmae sprout in a highly etiolated fashion, extending away from the parent. Does this coincide with what anyone else has observed?

Incredible! You guys are invincible. These are the first ever published photos of a flowering population of P. orchidioides.

They are quite similar to P. moranensis but the leaf shape and the fact that they form oninon like buds and build the typical stolones are qite unique.

It is interesting to see that these plants produce true stolones where new plantlets spread out. Another population discovered by Fernando in 2003 produces a kind of gemmae as you described from your cultivated plants – good to see in the following picture...

P_orchidioides_S_Juarez09(HR).jpg

The plants in german culture are similar to the plants you found and also build these stolones. So they need to be compared more detailed...

May it be that P. stolonifera is not a synonym of P. orchidioides but both are individual species...? Fernando, what do you think about this theory?

(I hope it is o.k. to post the photo - for any reason I couldn't fix the link as an url)

Cheers,

Markus

Hello Markus!

No problem about the photo. As for the stolons, what's the question??? The gemmae in my pic were present in the dry season. Once the wet season comes, they extend as shown in Forbe's & Noah's pics. Ruben and I were lucky to find a population of P.orchidioides on Saturday in Guerrero state which also showed these stolons. To me P.stolonifera is just a synonym of P.orchidioides -- what are the arguments against this?

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Hi Fernando,

sorry, I didn't want to confuse something. I only was wondering were the both names come from.

The plant shown in your photo looks as it also has summer-leaves and Noah told me that cultivated plants also show this feature of only producing gemmae-like plantlets instead of true stolons. So I agree with you that both are the same species and the stolons are only produced in the summer-rosette stage.

However, in my opinion the name P. stolonifera is more suitable for this species ;-) as there is also a moranensis form called var. orchidioides this name made some confusion...

Cheers,

Markus