Utric to identify...

Guest Sheila

The other form of bisquamata is the Bettys Bay form, much bigger and also much prettier. This small form is very invasive, it is comparable to subulata for infecting every pot within 500 yards of it.

Ok, thanks to you !

Juste a litlle story about bisquamata and me : I bought my first one two years ago, planted it in a very large pot, and it almost never flowerod :|

This spring I have two different pot infested by this plant.

I don't undertstand ! :D

Guest Sheila

Only two??? You are lucky, After owning the plant for 1 year lots of my pots were infested with it, by the second year I had very few pots without it in. I have two greenhouses and somehow it has got into both of them. It does look pretty flowering amongst the pitchers, though in some of the rosetted sundews it can be a nuisance. the thing I find most annoying is that I actually bought a pot full of the stuff, if I had waited it came up in all sorts of plants I bought on the forum, I could have bought a different plant with the money and still had lots of bisquamata. :D

if I were you I would get rid of it while you have a chance :)

It's already too late :( I saw it's small leaves everywhere in the contaminated pot...

...and take gardenofeden's giant clone in exchange! :shock:

Why not ? :mrgreen: If he's ok !

I'm torn. In general, I think it would look good in a lot of plants. But I DO have a strong lean toward rosetted sundews. How bad a nuisance are we talking about? Could it actually choke out small plants?

Guest Sheila

It grows in almost all my pots. It has not yet killed a plant or crowded it out. I find that by the time it is taking over the pot it is time to repot anyway and most of it goes in the compost bin. It is so successful in my plants I don't even bother keeping a seperate potful of it any more.

Guest Sheila
the problem is when it infects other Utric pots, and you can never again have a pure colony of anything

That is the only time it is a problem as far as I can see. It is the same with subulata another pretty but invasive plant. I only keep a few utrics, most of which are so far unaffected (except tricolor which was a stowaway anyway) I keep most utrics well away from both types, so it is not really a problem for me but if you do like utrics and intend keeping a selection then you are best to get rid of both these invasive types as soon as you can.

Guest Sheila

Why is the Bettys bay form considered to be a bisquamata? The flower itself looks very different in shape colour and size and as Jan points out is non invasive. Doesn't the Bettys Bay form deserve its own name?

did you not read my cultivar description Sheila? :) it is definitely a bisquamata which can be very variable.

another problem with pots infected with the small, weedy bisquamata (or subulata), even if they are something like Sarracenia which can tolerate the companion, is that other people may be reluctant to buy or swap plants with you for fear of contamination of their collection.

another problem with pots infected with the small, weedy bisquamata (or subulata), even if they are something like Sarracenia which can tolerate the companion, is that other people may be reluctant to buy or swap plants with you for fear of contamination of their collection.

One of the reasons I have spent hours 'cleaning' pots of Utrics. Don't get me wrong I like subulata and bisquamata but, would you buy a contaminated U.dichotoma???

:D