Arisaema advice please

gardenofeden

I am relatively new to Arisaema. I have a A.griffithii I bought as a potted plant in spring which has died down already, is this normal? The compost was pure peat and was a bit soggy so I lifted the corm, cleaned and dried it and repotted into a dryish, open mix, was this the right thing to do? what is the best way to keep it over the rest of the summer and into the winter.

many thanks

Guest Aidan

It sounds like it has gone dormant rather early. I had exactly the same experience with A. griffithii a few years ago and it never returned.

You have done the right thing and the plant should now be kept completely dry until new growth is seen in the spring... if you have better luck than I did!

Arisaema are heavy feeders and I find it a good idea to repot into fresh, well drained compost every year. Otherwise the tubers have a tendency to shrink rather than grow.

it possibly has just gone dormant early(often depends were the tubers came from if they were grown abroad it may take a season to acclimitise)

i wouldnt keep the compost too dry or the tuber will dry out too much keep it moist

got mine as bulbs potted them up they flowered and leafed up (badly!) then dissapeared so i popped them in the garden and they reappeared about a month or so ago, to be attacked by something, half dug up by the cat and to be on the recieving end of a neighbours football! why is it it's always the choice plants that get ruined?

i'm shure slugs have a what not to eat book, that lists plants on there rarety and ease of cultivation!

the thing is that almost all arisaema grow in woods and forests so you would need to replicate those conditions. they need a rich open compost, a good mix is 50/50 john innes no 3 and any good quality multipurpose compost with osmocote mixed in. if during there active growing season they are kept to dry the tubers wont put on enough growth to be healthy next year

it also depends were you get the tubers if they are not stored well by the firm you get them from it will effect their growth the following year

• 4 weeks later...