Sign in to follow this  
AdamH

Aquatic Utric ID?

Hi,

Can someone identify the following aquatic Utricularia species please?

Utric-Cors-Fochno-1.JPG

Utric-Cors-Fochno-2.JPG

I have my (very strong) suspicions as to which species it is, but would like confirmation from those more knowledgeable, just to be sure! (I won't mention what I think it is, so as not to influence any ideas on the subject). The flowers were very small, but nevertheless attractive.

Myself, Langford Williams ("Langy") and Ian Salter went on a fieldtrip to Cors Fochno (north of Aberystwyth on the west Wales coast) and the surrounding hill area yesterday (Monday 19 June 2006), to see the orchids and CPs. We had a very successful trip, seeing all three native UK Drosera (D.anglica, D.intermedia and D.rotundifolia - all in great abundance), not to mention several D. x obovata (D.anglica x D.rotundifolia) hybrids, the Utricularia species shown above, and in the hills in the area, Pinguicula vulgaris - also some stunning orchids in the nearby Ynyslas sand dunes (and a few Dactylorhiza maculata in the bog itself)!

I'm sure one of us will start a thread about the trip in this section of the forum soon, but in the meantime, I would love to positively ID the Utric. Langy first spotted these, growing in a Sphagnum "slurry" in a wet ditch. There were quite a few of these flowers in a small area of flooded sphagnum ditch. In a way, for me at least, this was the best find of the day, as prior to this I had never seen a Utricularia in the wild, so it was wonderful! The fact that we got to see members of all the native UK CP genera (Drosera, Pinguicula and Utricularia) on one day trip was fantastic! :P

U. minor I think.

Many thanks for the replies - I also thought it was U.minor, but having never seen a wild Utric before couldn't be sure.

Looking at the distribution maps, the only 2 Utricularia species in this particular area are U.australis and U.minor, and it certainly doesn't look like the photos of U.australis that I've seen (much too small in flower and stolons, and different flower shape and colouring).

Thanks again... :wink:

Adam, that sounds like a great trip all Genera's in one day!

One thing that has just occured to me - I don't actually know if there is a native land dwelling Utric species in this country?

One thing that has just occured to me - I don't actually know if there is a native land dwelling Utric species in this country?

No. Not a single one.