stinky flower.. i want you !

Guest someone927

Guest someone927

hi everyone,

for the last few days, ive got myself a new obsession.. i must get myself an Amorphophallus :?

is it the look and size that attracts me or just the smell, that i do not know :D

something in me just want to add it to my upcomming jungle plant collection...

i also want a rafflesia but i havent seen it anywhere and didnt see any posts of peoples talk about their rafflesia's so i could just guess that this plant is just too rare.. havent found it in CITES tho..

anyways, here in israel i dont believe i can find an Amorphophallus, so ive searched the net for it and ive found out that cook's online shop have seeds of an unnamed Amorphophallus, ive also found a few stores that offers a "corm" of Amorphophallus besides live plant..

so heres my question - what is "corm" ?

babylon's online dictionary havent found a translation for that word :D

the price difference betwin a live planted plant and a "corm" is quite noticeable (10$ for corm,45$ for a plant) so my guess is that a "corm" is some kind of bulb/seed/dormant plant//stalk - which would be much easier to send thru worldwide mail than sending a whole 2ft*2ft sized plant and its pot and its 50kg amount of soil..also much cheaper.. :tu:

also,i will appreciate any info about a place (prefferably online) that sells Amorphophallus seeds or maybe even a rafflesia :P

thanks ahead 8)

elad.

A corm/rhizome is like a bulb (like ginger), they will send it dormant (not in growth) but once potted up, depending on whether it's a highland or lowland species, will start growing either in spring or when you pot it up.

Rafflesia wont be available ANYWHERE! I think that only two botanic gardens in the world have grown and successfully flowered it. It is a parasite and lives on only one particular vine (similar to grape). Very rare in the wild and unheard of in cultivation.

Sorry to burst your bubble :tu:

Guest someone927

aidan and hen - thanks to both of you :)

this makes things right.

hen - you are not bursting any bubbles :P

as ive said and guessed, rafflesia might be too rare and also too difficult to grow.., for now :tu:

im gonna start with Amorphophallus species and see whats next.. i think nothing is imposibble with the right experience and skills.. i have many years ahead of me. :D

by-the-way, the thing that started my desire for large stinky flowers is a film ive seen on N.Geographic about jungles on the Ecuator.

well.., thanks again,

also, the last part of my post stands still (places to buy Amorphophallus seeds)

elad.

• 1 month later...

i would also love a raffesilia just like you but i would be in possible to grow you would have to graft it on a living tree root you can get titan arum seeds of ebay though