Darlingtonia from seed

Numbersix

Hi all,

anybody out there got any tried and tested tips for germination of Darlingtonia seeds? The books make it sound pretty complex and tricky but someone told me that they will shoot in a jar of water in an airing cupboard! If anybody knows a simple way id be greatful.

Whilst im at it any useful tips on Sarra seeds and VFT would also be handy.

Cheers

Rich

Right... well I chucked a few hundred in a pot.. and a few months later I have got a few hundred to seperate :D kept em damp left em outside and forgot about them... does that help?? :D

Guest corymbosa

Contrary to the current dogma on growing Darlingtonia, I've found bottom heat does wonders for germination. Keep them cool once they've germinated, of course. While I've since heard others mention this, I kind of stumbled across it accidently when I left a seed tray out in the hot Australian sun for a couple of weeks. When I noticed the mistake I found the sphagnum was pretty warm but the seedlings had germinated. The trays that I kept cool and shaded gave me poor, sporadic germination (same batch, sown at the same time). I can only assume that in the wild, while the root zone of mature plants remains cool, the sun still heats the top layer of the ground. Therefore, the seedlings are more heat tolerant.

• 2 months later...
Guest Reefgeekster

These seeds should be cold stratified for about a month, then sown onto pure, sphagnum peat moss, and kept constatly wet. Germination should occur within 2-3 weeks. Darlingtonia plants need plenty of light, but another vital requirement is that their roots not be allowed to become too warm, they like cold feet. World of Carnivores has some additional information on cultivation.

http://www.answers.com/topic/stratification-botany