temperature Heliamphora

Guest jacques

Guest jacques

Hello

Have anyone an idea what's the max. temp. a Heliamphora can resist in an old fishtank on the window-sill facing south and in a plastic hobby greenhouse in full sun at the hotest time of the day.(if there is sun) In both cases the humidity is high.(80 %)

Thanks

Jacques

Hi Jacques

I once lost a mature H. nutans to overheating in a sunny terrarium and I would try and keep the temperature below 80 if you can. Anything above this will stress the plant. Fluorescent tubes are cool running and these are probably a safer option than relying on the sun.

Hope this helps

Yours Sincerely

Andy

You can double it and add 30 in the middle ranges and get close. Or the one I use which is times by 1.8 and add 32.

Oh, and mine also get 40C plus as well, and they do alright. I think if it gets cool at night it kind of makes up for the extra heat in the day. I finally stopped killing them by keeping them with my Highland Nepenthes and keeping them in pots planted in live sphagnum and the pots in a basin full of damp (but no standing water) live sphagnum. With our cool nights and the high humidity during the day they all are finally moderately happy.

It's the methodology. With the 1.8 trick you can do it in your head. Just double the number and subtract 10 percent, then add 32. Although I guess some people divide in their heads as easily as multiplying.