The nepenthes pervillei in-situ

kinabalu

Hello,

A few weeks ago, i decided for the french carnivorous plants forum to diffuse my last report about a carnivorous plant in wild. It's done now

One month ago, i've been to the Seychelles on Mahé, where i decided to see the most spectacular Nepenthes for me. I've been in 2004 in Borneo and saw some amazing nepenthes too, but the rare pervillei is for me a must.

My girlfriend and i went to Mahé last month, between the end of April to the beginning of May.

We saw 3 areas where this beautiful plant used to grow so easily under a strong sunlight. The temperature in general rise around 30° early in the morning, and the soil was very dry. I've been on the " 3 frères " area, " Copolia " and an other place on the " sans souci " road.

As for the french forum, i wanted to share with you this rare report about this nice pitchers plant.

About soil, no sphagnum at all. Just some quartz, sand, granit, and vegetal clay ( earth i mean.... sorry for my english ) on the " sans souci " area. Sun was really strong at 9am. No clouds. 30° at the beginning.... and after more than half an hour, already 33°-35°. No water on the ground, but as there are many plants around the pervillei, i suppose that in the deep soil, some water does exist. In the soil, the temperature was around 27°. About Lumens, i used a luxmeter, and i recorded between 18000 and 22000L in the morning. The plants, in the 3 areas are growing in full South direction. You'll see on the pictures different shapes from the pitchers. Some are green, or yellow with red under the opercule.

One of the superb area is maybe the Copolia area.

The plants are growing on the black granite ( Temp is quite low, " just " 26° or 27° ), but there is some little wind on the Copolia. Here you can find easily the pervillei which looking the sea at around 500m high.

Like a live concert, you can easily listen the fly or large orange wasps.

Here the soil is really thin, 1,5cm high....wet, and it's look like some peat.

Here the light is more important cos the vegetal are in minority. So the pervillei can grow easily thant the othe areas where small trees are abundant. It's a problem for the pervillei which loves high light. The plants must climb to the trees to " take " more light so.

What a strange nepenthes too, cos even you can see a lot of plants in particular area, this plants has long vines where every 5 leaf, make a simple rosette, which making anothe vines, etc..... it's like a spider's web.

The uppers pitchers are upright, which making this plant so nice for me and different. The tendrils are very short too. About the size, even the lowers or uppers pitchers, it's making between 15 and 18cm.

The lowers pitchers are more colorfull than the uppers. Even under the trees, like in the " Sans souci " road, the lowers are purple. No sun at all. Just shadow.....but so nice and large.

All the areas i've been were safety and like virgin. But this plant grow just in some localities. Not more. You can find it too on Silhouettes. But i wanted to see some other things on Mahé with my girlfriend.....And when you've already seen 3 areas with pervillei, it's already the Paradise !.

Well i could talk a lot about this wonderful plant, but my english is maybe too poor. However, if you have some questions, it will be a pleasure to answer you.

Now, here you'll find my travel to the World of pervillei.

Hope you like it.

Kindest regards to all of you.

Kinabalu.

Sans souci road....

vuevigne3rosettes7fz.jpg

vuerosettessol2qq.jpg

vueaerienne4qf.jpg

vueaccrochearbre5sj.jpg

urneprocheverte2eb.jpg

urneproche6mg.jpg

A lower pitcher under trees......

urnelower0pu.jpg

Copolia area......

sommet28ti.jpg

sommet4an.jpg

petitgroupetotal7lw.jpg

petitgroupethermo0of.jpg

rosettesurgranite5xf.jpg

cadavresderosettessousarbres0p.jpg

groupeausoleil0gi.jpg

formevertegroupe1et.jpg

urneverte0cl.jpg

rosette0nz.jpg

petiteurne1wf.jpg

"3 frères" area.....

ambiance4bh.jpg

rosettefougres1oi.jpg

urnefacesoleil1ag.jpg

urnesoleil1ya.jpg

urnesoleil27zg.jpg

rosette1fp.jpg

urnedosrosette3wf.jpg

urnerosetteface5gs.jpg

The flowers......... different as the nepenthes in general. ( Similar as the Madagascariensis nepenthes, which i'll maybe see next year. )

fleur0km.jpg

Hope you liked my report.....and i hope to see maybe one more time..........this Jewel.

Kinabalu :D

Jacques Besnard.

Thanks for showing the wonderful pics and giving an interesting report. The third pic with loads of pitchers and the sea as a background is my favourite.. simply breathtaking..

Regards,

Christer

Hello :D !

That is a true wonderful report Kina!

It gives many of us some tips to grow successfully this unusual species. Did you observe many preys in the pitchers _ which types: beetles, butterflies, flies or moths?

Congratulations :D !

François.

Hello Sock :D ,

Yes i've seen some beetles, ants. But most of the pitchers didn't have much prey as i could imagine.

A large numbers of pitchers had some hole at the bottom. A bird called

" Souimanga " likes really well this nepenthes. Maybe for the insects, or the fluid....who knows ! I made a small video where i " talked with him.....it was really funny.

Regards. :D

A large numbers of pitchers had some hole at the bottom. A bird called

" Souimanga " likes really well this nepenthes. Maybe for the insects, or the fluid....who knows !

Thanks for replying, pal. Did you make a picture of this bully? I'd be interested.

I linger for the day when my tiny Nepenthes pervillei reaches the size of one of the simple rosette which delights each of your Seychelles pictures!

Sigh... :D:D

François.

Hello again Kina :D .

Nice picture! I like the pervillei in the back which struggles in the shade of the tree, in search for some light.

Please, do not hesitate to post some pictures of the Seychelles insects (and flora). You know i'm fond of those small creatures :D .

Thanks for sharing.

Sock :D .

Guest Highland

Hello there,

I have a good friend that has cultivated this plant to perfection in the years past. It was a species that was common here in the states back in the late 80's. I hope it comes back in cultivation now to stay. Your photos are wonderful !!!!!

The best, Carl ( Highland )

Hi Jacques

Fantastic photos of some great looking plants.I am amazed how dry the ground is.Was there plenty of prey in the pitchers?Your English is very good so i wouldnt worry there :wink:

Bye for now Julian

Was there plenty of prey in the pitchers?Your English is very good so i wouldnt worry there

Hello chesara,

Thanks for my English.... :wink:

Well about the prey, here is a picture of what you could see inside the pitchers sometimes.

prey2qc.jpg

Butterfly, flies.....

Thanks for your compliment to all of you.

About the rosettes on the ground, there's no roots at all. Just a very long vine where start other vines from always one unique rosette.

Hope you understand what i mean ;)

If you want, there's one plant for many vines which produce many rosettes, and vines again......

Regards.