How to pollinate a Byblis filifolia

Guest Daanq

Dear All,

In spring this year a Byblis filifolia seed which I planted in 2001 (!) sprouted. The seedling grew very fast and a month ago the flowering started. Since then I tried to pollinate the flowers with a pencil. I do this every day, so I "pencil" the flower over and over untill the flower falls off.

I am not sure if I am succesful. I can see seed pods, only the seed pods are still small. I don't think they are getting bigger either.

The plant is still in full flower. At least 10 flowers are open and still much more to come it looks like...

Does anybody know more about this? Does it take long for the seed pods to grow? Does Byblis filifolia needs cross-pollination? Any usefull tips?

I also grow Byblis liniflora in the same way. These seeds pods grow over a period of several weeks, so that's why I am asking...

Thanks!

Daan

Whilst Byblis liniflora self-pollinates well, all the other members of this genus need to be pollinated. In nature the pollinators are bees, and the stamens only release pollen when vibrated, this is known as 'Buzz Pollination' in Australia.

The best way to acheive this artificially is by touching the stamens with a vibrating tuning fork, which releases the pollen, I then pick the pollen up off the petals with a fine brush and pollinate another flower (preferably one from another genetic individual, to avoid in-breeding, but Byblis can be selfed). I borrow a tuning fork from a local music teacher in my village, I'm too mean to buy my own! I have also had success pollinating B. lamellata using a device for trimming nose hair! I allow it to vibrate on the stamens and pollen is released, taking care of course not to trim the stamens!! :wink:

If you are not seeing yellow pollen, then you are probably not pollinating.

Vic

Adrian Slack recommended the tuning fork method in 'Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow them' (1986), it's a well known and proven method.

It's better to use a flower on a different plant if you can, so you maintain a high degree of genetic variabilty in the offspring. I keep two plants of B. lamellata and several of B. filifolia, all of which originated from wild seed, so I can do this.

Vic