My Brochinnia Reducta is it ok?

Hi

I got a nice Brochinnia Reducta last year. Throughout the winter it grew alongside my Neps and remained green. With the increase in sun (though with shading now applied) it has gone yellow and now brown. Is this a sign of too much light or some other problem. Or is it perfectly ok? Having not grown this species before I am not too sure.

brochinnia%20reducta.jpg

cheers

bill

Guest Andreas Eils
Or is it perfectly ok?

cheers

bill

Surely not, Bill! I don´t grow Brocchinia reducta and have no experience with it, but your plant appears to me like it´s saying "Goodbye" to you!!! :wink: Unfortunately!

When the outer leaves wilt, it´s normal, but the younger ones on the inner side of the funnel should remain green/yellowish until the next leaves have finished.

The plant indeed tolerates growing in sun, but if you don´t live on higher altitudes it may become too warm for the plant in full sun. You have however mentioned to grow it in shadier conditions. Root rot through water logging can be excluded? Possibly some pests or fungi....hard to tell from my view!

Brocchinia reducta is reported as being a little difficult in cultivation. But I guess not everyone would second that.

I´m sorry for not helping you better, but at least you know something must be wrong with your plant.

Regards,

Andreas

Bill, Tha most deffinatly looks like sun burn to me... move you're plant to a shady spot and let it recover. As long as you have new leaves from inside the vase you'll be fine. Indeed brocchinia can take full sun, but it MUST be SLOWLY acclimated! I grow my Brocchinia outdoors here in florida, at first I had it in a very shady spot slowy (in about 3-4 months) I acclimated it to take pretty bright light... although not full, I kind of like the plant to have the nice green color, in full sun they turn yellow.

I grow hundreds of bromeliads species from diffrent genus, and rest assured you're is sunburned. Keep and eye on it and give it a little TLC in a shady spot and it should come back.

Good luck buddy!!

Juan-Carlos Munoz

Miami, Florida USA

Thanks for your comments.

I agree Juan-Carlos it does look like sunburn. I have repotted the plant after checking its roots. It seems ok so hopefuly with a bit more shade should recover. Fingers crossed!

cheers

bill