Time for growth!

The Loakesy grow-list is about to expand exponentially!!!

Today, I managed to secure an allotment about a mile from where I live.

It's 125 square metres in area. It has a few small trees, plenty of room for a greenhouse, coldframes, bog-garden, and still have room for growing a some fruit vegetables. It already has an apple tree, a plum tree and a cherry tree in one corner, and there'll probably still be room for a small childrens' play area - they've got to have something to do while I'm "being boring"!

All for less than 20 quid a year!

I've got my eye on an 8x8" greenhouse in the local rag.

The only downer is that I have agreed with Mrs Loakesy that I will spend more time doing the DIY and decorating before I start spending extended periods on the allotment.

Who knows? Maybe one day I might even be able to fit in an open day! :)

Here's a photo:

myplot1.jpg

It needs a bit of work. The plot runs behind the small trees top and center and along infront of the brown composter to the left of the trees.

Oh, and by the way... the 8x8 has gone! :wink:

Actually, Council regulations limit the size of any building needing a base, to 6x4" (although the Allotment Association don't enforce it!) but you can have an extension of any size you like as long as it doesn't require a base.

I might still go for a slightly larger GH all the same!

Guest Sheila

How secure is the area? I don't think we need to tell you there are criminals and vandals about do we. It would be heartbreaking if someone pinched your plants because they are unusual and unattended.

Blimey, an eight by eight inch greenhouse! You may have room for a whole capensis with that kind of space :lol:

Congratulations on the plot! You don't always need a base for greenhouses, you can leverl the ground off and lay some weed suppressing membrane with bark/gravel. just a thought

Guest Sheila

Andy, have a look and see if there is a freecycle group near you,

http://www.freecycle.org/display.php?region=United%20Kingdom

You may find someone giving a greenhouse away. they are often on my local one, the collector just has to dismantle it usually and that is always best because that way you know how it goes back together. On most freecycle groups you can even request items if what you are looking for is not being offered, there is usually someone local to you glad to get rid of a greenhouse.

How secure is the area? I don't think we need to tell you there are criminals and vandals about do we. It would be heartbreaking if someone pinched your plants because they are unusual and unattended.

I did ask about that. Apparantly, they had a theft a while back. Someone stole about 8 strawberry plants!

Blimey, an eight by eight inch greenhouse! You may have room for a whole capensis with that kind of space :lol:

Congratulations on the plot! You don't always need a base for greenhouses, you can leverl the ground off and lay some weed suppressing membrane with bark/gravel. just a thought

Oops! :wink:

I was probably going to put sand and concrete slabs down for the base!

• 1 month later...

I finally managed to get hold of a greenhouse. It's only 6'x4', and it cost me nothing! My brother was about to chuck it in a skip before I rescued it.

I still have to dismantle it and transfer it to my plot, lay a few slabs for it, but I'm definately on my way!