How to propagate Drosera cuttings in water (with photos)

cgarry

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experiment trying to propagate D. paradoxa from flowerstalk cuttings was a succes. One single growhpoint has apperared in the base of flower. It is possible to propagate this plant thios way and I think success rate is better than with leaf cuttings.

DSC03496.jpg

Hi !

That's perfect news. :biggrin: Thank you very much for sharing results of this experiment. I've already put some paradoxa flower stalks to water to try it too.

But there is one thing I am not so sure about - the comparison of succes between flower stalks cuttings and leaf cuttings. From my own experience I know, that it hardly depends on "freshness" of leaves used for propagation. If you use only very fresh dewing leaves and appropriate conditions (temperature/light) then the succes rate is nearly 100% and the time from putting leaves into water to first strikes is less then 10 days.

As you can see here - this picture is taken about 3 weeks after putting leaves into water.

245foto_1.jpg

Nevertheless your result is perfect guide-post that there is another way. Maybe if you would use young flower stalk then there could be more then only one strike (?). What was the water temperature and lightning intesity ?

I don't know about water tempature but I tell you the conditions. All of thise cuttings I take go to washed baby food jars. I Put about 1 cm of water on the bottom of the jar. Jar goes to my poor mans light system between two fluorecent light tubes. Theres maybe 1 cm space between jars and the tubes. On top of that there's a tin foil cover. At least cuttings get enough light. :shock: This is one of my fav sundews and I hope I could have more than my current 1 plant of this wonderful species.

Jiri! Those are some fantastic results! I'm really jealous to you. Please tell me the secret how to propagate D. paradoxa so successfully. :wink:

I don't know about water tempature but I tell you the conditions. All of thise cuttings I take go to washed baby food jars. I Put about 1 cm of water on the bottom of the jar. Jar goes to my poor mans light system between two fluorecent light tubes. Theres maybe 1 cm space between jars and the tubes. On top of that there's a tin foil cover. At least cuttings get enough light. :D This is one of my fav sundews and I hope I could have more than my current 1 plant of this wonderful species.

Jiri! Those are some fantastic results! I'm really jealous to you. Please tell me the secret how to propagate D. paradoxa so successfully. :wink:

There's no secret :) The procedure is quite similar to yours. I use small plastic jar with about 2 cm of water and put it just by fluorescent lamp on the top of the terrarium. There is not much light (because I use reflectors) but the temperature in the jar is about 30°C during day and let's say 20°C during night. I think taht light is not so important for propagation but the temperature is.

Next important thing is to use very fresh leaves. If you use old leaves which are on the edge of rosset, they will die before first strikes appear. It is very important to use only fresh leaves (producing dews). Then the succes rate is very high. And of course - the crucial aspect is to pull of the leaf with its base.

Unfortunately it is quite difficult to obtain such fresh leaves without damaging plant. I usually do it when I am repotting plant.

This works well for me with non-hairy petiolaris species like D. broomensis and D. petiolaris too.

Next important thing is to use very fresh leaves. If you use old leaves which are on the edge of rosset, they will die before first strikes appear. It is very important to use only fresh leaves (producing dews). Then the succes rate is very high. And of course - the crucial aspect is to pull of the leaf with its base.

Unfortunately it is quite difficult to obtain such fresh leaves without damaging plant. I usually do it when I am repotting plant.

Now I get it why i have failed. Pulling leaf with its base. Just tried it but failed. Is there any trick that can help to get the base with leaf.

Now I get it why i have failed. Pulling leaf with its base. Just tried it but failed. Is there any trick that can help to get the base with leaf.

A trick ? I don't know....it's the similar to when you want to propagate flytrap by leaf cutting. Maybe someone would disagree but I think that the best way is to dig out the plant from soil and then simply pull off some leaves (usually old and dead first and then some fresh).

You just have to get whole leaf with its fleshy base because there, in the base, is situated the adventitious bud from which the new plant grows.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Bernado, The original post by cgarry with photos appears to have been made in 2006.  The photos must have either been removed or lost from their original location, thus we cannot see them any more.

Kind regards,  Rob