How to propagate Drosera cuttings in water (with photos)

cgarry

Just curious, has anyone tried to propagate pygmy Dros by leaf cuttings, either by water, or otherwise? - Rich

It is working for some of the pygmy species too. There was a post on Terraforums about 2 monts ago showing a succesfull leaf cutting in water of a lake badgerup. I'm currently trying with lasiantha but nothing yet! Probably i have to wait a bit longer than a week!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this technique :D . I've had succes with Binata, Bainata multifida extrema and couple others. Now trying with Regia, Dionaea Muscipula,..... :rolleyes:

I was just thinking could this technique work with seeds as well? Don't see why not. Anyone experience with this?

D. regia? Bon chance! Some of us have done seeds in water with success. When ya think about it, some of these species are dropping seeds in puddles of water in nature.

• 4 weeks later...

I took a whole lot of leaf cuttings from my two cristate drosera red capensis plants a week ago, I am curious to see if the leaf cuttings assuming they are successful will grow normally or cristate like the parents.

I took a whole lot of leaf cuttings from my two cristate drosera red capensis plants a week ago, I am curious to see if the leaf cuttings assuming they are successful will grow normally or cristate like the parents.

Hi crumble a bit off topic but have you tried root cuttings ?

I took some and about 2-3 weeks later they were just beginning to sprout through the peat .

Duane

Hi Duane,

yes I took one root cutting earlier this summer and right now its growth looks quite normal, in fact it isn't even looking very red like the parent plant but that might be because its been kept in a heavily shaded part of the greenhouse. I have a feeling propogating these cristate capensis is not going to prove that easy.

Mary

I tried this with some D. Capensis a few months ago.

Well, actually I put them ina sealed jar of water, shoved them ina draw and forgot about thme for a few months. Came back about 2 months later and I had a number of sprouts trying to grow!

I don't really want Capensis sprouts any more, but I allowed them to keep growing - mainly because I want to see how long they'll live without soil. So I placed them in some sun but they're in the same container in the same water. All of the 'mother' leaves have died off now - and the stems of the capensis sprouts are going mushy. But still they grow on, without any sign of stopping. I broke a few off the dead mother leaves a month ago - they're refusing to grow roots - so how on Earth are they still surviving and actively growing?

Hi Duane, that is interesting,how long ago was it taken and is it showing any signs of cristate growth yet? and have you tried leaf cuttings in water with it? my root cuttings look very similar to yours with no sign of cristate growth yet.

Hi Duane, that is interesting,how long ago was it taken and is it showing any signs of cristate growth yet? and have you tried leaf cuttings in water with it? my root cuttings look very similar to yours with no sign of cristate growth yet.

Hi Crumble

the photo was taken on Sunday or Monday

as to yet it is a bit early as it is only a couple to three months old .

STA71653.jpg

main plant before the split

STA71703.jpg

one of the divides

STA71670.jpg

another divide

it was whilst i was dividing that i accidently broke a few of the roots off and sowed them about 2-3 mm under a layer of peat .

Duane

I'm sorry if this is off topic slightly :(

duane - I looked at your photos, and wonder in fact if your plant has been affected by aphids, I had a plant produce similar growth earlier in the year and was told it was aphid damage causing the cristate type growth in the leaves, I soaked it with provado solution and the growth reverted to normal. here is a photo of my cristate capensis taken earlier this season, it is harder to see the cristate growth now because of the amount of leaves it has produced since but it has one long continuous growth point.

IMG_2118reduced.JPG

The root cuttings I have taken so far appear normal but they are very young

Hi Crumble

having recently split my main plant , unfortunantley it has knocked it back a bit so is not looking it's best .

I've had another look at it and seeing has i've not treated the plant since i've had it in my collection i would of expected to have seen some sort of aphid carcasses or the like quite evident on the plant itself .

It is looking crystal clear .

If it was an aphid attack combinded with the repotting i would of thought it would make the crestate/cristate even more pronounced than it was originally .

hoping to get some more photo's in the next day or so to show :woot:

Duane

good topic by the way

HI Duane, I too couldn't see any aphid carcasses etc but treated the plant anyway and the growth went away. I have some photos somewhere of the growth, I think I even posted a thread about it at the time and was really rather dissapointed when it reverted to normal. then I found the seedling (photo above) as part of a plant bought from cgarry. Now my problem is propogating it, hence my interest in using leaves immersed in water.

My leaves have been in water now for about 2 or 3 weeks and no sign of any growth yet, maybe I have left it too late in the season. If so I will try again next year.

My leaves have been in water now for about 2 or 3 weeks and no sign of any growth yet, maybe I have left it too late in the season. If so I will try again next year.

Hi Mary,

I started a leaf cutting of one of your plant's siblings in water on the 17th May and it has only just reached a stage where I think it is ready to be transferred into a pot. I make that over 17 weeks in water so I wouldn't give up on yours yet!

Cheers,

Chris

• 4 months later...

You can add Drosera venusta to that list of yours. I tried this technique on that species and it's working! I can posti pictures as a proof, but the plantlets aren't very large yet.

• 1 year later...

hi everyone,

i have done some leaf cuttings as well as flower stalk cuttings and emerge the whole thing into a clean out jam jar using distilled water. i started out with D.intermedia leaf cuttings. usually i pick the ones that looks like it is not doing so well as well as healthy ones and cut it as close as i can to the base.

, i would leave it in the jar of distilled water for months and leave it in a well lit area. i have had clumps growing on one bud sometimes. some i would seperate and some i would not cos it was just too complicated and i hate to waste the plants. i had potted really tiny sproutings as well as large enough ones without roots, into a container of peat and sphagnum moss mix and covered it until the plants have set and rooted in, then what i do is take the lid off and leave it slightly open. after a few days or a week i would take the whole lid off and re pot them into another container.

currently i am trying out D.spatulata and D.tokaiensis flower stalk cuttings. i have a D.capensis broad leaf, leaf cutting in the jar as well and one lying in the same pot as the D.capensis broad leaf plant where i had taken the cutting and there is now a green tip growing from it. will get the pics from the D.capensis later when i have the time. meanwhile here are two pics of my D.intermedia leaf and flower stalk cuttings.

I usually cut the flower stalk off if the plant is still young so that it can focus on growing.

My D.intermedia leaf and flower stalk cutting being propagated in distilled water.

flowerscapecuttings.jpg

intermedia_cuttings.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone tried flower stalk cuttings with D. paradoxa? Do they sprout better than leaf cuttings?

Edit 25.12. Since none of you answered I took some flower stalk cuttings from my D. paradoxa.

Edit 6.1. I Took cuttings from D. affinis few months ago and noticed that they have sprouted. So D. affinis can be added to your list.

Edited by Deadly Weapon

• 1 month later...
Has anyone tried flower stalk cuttings with D. paradoxa? Do they sprout better than leaf cuttings?

Edit 25.12. Since none of you answered I took some flower stalk cuttings from my D. paradoxa.

Edit 6.1. I Took cuttings from D. affinis few months ago and noticed that they have sprouted. So D. affinis can be added to your list.

Hi!

Do you have any results with D. paradoxa stalk cuttings ? I have never thought about this possibility in petiolaris-complex. It would be great info if you'd succeeded.