hamata

agustin franco

Dear all:

I have a small hamata 5-6 cm in diameter. It grows in a mix that consists of 50% peat moss, 16% sphagnum, 16% vermiculite, 16% perlite. it is doing just great. it has a plastic dome (2 lt bottle of coke on top) and natural light plus that supplemented by light bulbs (2 X 20 W). it is throwing pitchers at me. so i am very happy. I will show you a picture soon.

Gus

Always good to hear that a grower treating his plant right is being amply rewarded...

My neps are doing fairly well also. My N. x Gentle is pitchering vigorously, though they are somewhat small. My N. truncata is growing, if laboriously. My sanguinea, rafflesiana and ventrata are all doing well, so no complaints, except maybe that the sanguinea isn't sanguine at all, but very green =)

Colin

Guest ragnarok

Hi. That's nice. I have one about 1.5-2" in diameter, and it's starting to make its first little pitcher for me. The rest of my nepenthes are doin great. My N. sanguinea is proving very interesting, with dark orange motted pitchers (very fine blends of degrees of orange). My N. tobaica just threw out a large 3" pitcher, pink and with a red striped peristome. N. spathulata showing to be a vigorous grower with many pitchers, N. macrophyllaadjusting very well, but no new pitchers yet, and my N. lowii is making a very nice pitcher now. I pray I can post pics soon :wink: .

WildFyre,

I believe Tony Paroubek ( www.exoticplantsplus.com ) sells them. Since this plant has only recently been available from tissue culture it is still rare and reasonably expensive.

Rubra

• 4 weeks later...

Are Hamata the only nep that grow young vibrantly Green pitchers PLUS the spikey Hair on the lid?

I have recently purchased a cheap Nep from Lowe's where they acquire it from Gubler's Orchids. Gubler's claims they only sell alata...but this plant has pitcher's more similar to the Hamata than the Alata.

I will post a pic tomorrow for any of you who can help me know if this IS actually a Hamata, and if it is.... perhaps Gubler's is a good place to try looking for one.

Hi,

Are Hamata the only nep that grow young vibrantly Green pitchers PLUS the spikey Hair on the lid?

nearly all juvenile pitchers of Nepenthes look like this. Features of the adult pitchers can only be seen after a few leafes.

Cheers Joachim

I don't know anything about the reputation of this nursery either, but looking at the rest of their neps, its obvious that a good proportion of their stock comes from Borneo Exotics; eg Nepenthes sibuyanensis 'Clone SIBT-28' is a clone that is specific to B.E. This being the case, I would imagine that the quality of the plants is excellent.

Plants from this B.E. have recently been available to UK buyers and I haven't heard any complaints. I've certainly been impressed by the quality of their stock.

Vic

Yes, Black Jungle does get Neps from Borneo Exotics (check BEs distributors page). Black Jungle is a Poison Dart Frog/Terrarium shop, not an actual plant nursery. I have ordered from Black Jungle several times with always good plants (except for a U. longifolia sold as U. alpina...Plant was still good, just wrongly IDd) Orders for either plants or dry goods arrive in about 2 weeks. The owner is in the Army and likely overseas so somone else is filling the orders these days. I don't know how thier PDFs are, haven't had the courage to order any live animals by mail!

Borneo Exotics plants are always top notch and quite often available in nice big sizes, I just got some enormous N. sanguineas from them at amazing prices. I did get them through Cooks, I haven't had any trouble with Cooks at all (he got me an N. jacquelineae) and I would never hesitate to order from him. Par O Bek Orchids/Exotic Plants Plus is also an excellent source which always sells extremely healthy and well sized Neps with big showy pitchers-even on tiny plants. He sent me my baby N. hamata in June 2002 as a 8-10 cm diameter plant with 10 cm pitchers. Not too many nurseries can send picture perfect plants right out of the box!

Dear all:

I would like to apologize to all of you, it's been several weeks since i promised to post the picture of the mini hamata. so here it goes.

small%20ham.jpg

By the way, B.E. has the largest variety of pure species nepenthes available in the world just like Exotica plants has the largest variety of nepenthes hybrids in the world.

They are amongst the best nepenthes growers in the world.

Gus