Drosera rubrifolia

AndyP

Hi,

Can anyone give me an idea of the optimal conditions for cultivating this plant? I can't seem to find much info. about it.

The one I bought at the recent CPS AGM, after initially looking fairly happy, now looks like this:

AJP_D_rubrifolia.jpg

It's been living in my greenhouse since then, along with most of the rest of my plants, but it presumably doesn't like something about the conditions there, as it appears to be dying from the centre :P

I fear it may be too late to save this plant, but just in case I get another in the future, I'd like to try and keep it alive for more than a couple of weeks... :tu:

Andy.

Hi

my rubrifolia like very huimid conditions - i moved mine out of the tank because of lack of airflow and the plants suffered- so i put them back into the humid conditions and they picked up again.

I grow mine in about 70 / 30 peat to sand they also like very bright light

DSCF4083.jpg

regartds Belinda

this is how they look on the recovery trail from a time outside the tank .

Hi Rex,

I suggest you to cut the undamaged leaves into some live sphagnum over bright light for months,it may produce plantlets.

I may be too late even for that - I don't think there will be enough of a leaf to succeed, but I may give it a try anyway.

At least I'm helping keep CP nurseries in business... :D

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Looks like the change in conditions has caused it to rot. If I have any rosettes do this I normally cut the rosette off at ground level and they invariably return. I do this with any species as a kill or cure strategy!

If it doesn't pm me you details and I'll send you another.

Nigel H-C

Looks like the change in conditions has caused it to rot. If I have any rosettes do this I normally cut the rosette off at ground level and they invariably return. I do this with any species as a kill or cure strategy!

If it doesn't pm me you details and I'll send you another.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for that info. - I may try cutting the rosette off, as I think the leaves are probably too far gone to try cuttings from (although I may try anyway).

How long would you expect it to take to come back once you'd done this (so I know when to give up with it & ask you for another :D ).

What conditions do you keep them in at your nursery?

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the delay-just back from a show in Worcester. It varies from a month to 2 or 3 dpending on species, so be patient.

If you can't wait, let me know!

N