Doing my bit to rid the world of Amorphophallus...

bwdoz

Last year I had two small but rather splendid A. paeoniifolius - they grew to around 3ft tall. When they went dormant I stored the apparently healthy tubers in seperate pots of bone dry compost under the staging (4 - 5C minimum) thinking they'd be happy enough there until the warmer weather arrived. Yesterday I thought I ought to check up on them, and I found that they were both very shrunken, very very brown and very very very dead.

Any suggestions to help me avoid doing it again (apart from the obvious "don't grow them"!)? I had A. konjac and A. albus alongside them, stored similarly and they all look fine. Was it just too cold for them?

Cheers,

Bruce

Guest Aidan

A. paeoniifolius is generally considered to be one of the hardier Amorphs, so I doubt it was temperature that was the problem. According to the International Aroid Society, the plant has been recorded as being hardy down to -16C.

Thanks Aidan - it certainly doesn't sound as though temperature was the culprit. I had heard of some people managing to grow them outside so it didn't seem likely. Perhaps I just kept them too dry, unless they had both managed to contract some sort of disease. :?

Does anyone on the forum perhaps have an offset they might want to part with?

Cheers,

Bruce