Growing tips for D. stenopetala and D. arcturi

byblis

Hi all,

I was asked for growing tips for both species. Here is just what I do with it. Plants grow and survive, sometimes produce plantlets but didnot flower so far. (D. stenopetala flowered in vitro one day):

Substrate: Pure peat, I have tried mixes with perlite, sand, Vermicullite but find as major disadvantage the groth of moss, algae and so on

Light: As much as you can give them, I found D. arcturi at the edge of a skiing rope/lane in N.Z. (Southern Island) agrowing in fully sun light at high elevation with much UV-light

Climate: If possible cool mountain climate, plants seem to suffer if it is too hot during the summer especially if the night temps donot drop down

Temperatures: Winter resting periode: 14°C days down to 6-8°C night temps, D. arcturi is fully hardy and I have kept it in my outdoor bog with temps around -20°C. The problem is that plants get overgrown by sphagnum and will die of it; D. stenopetala was not hardy so far and died outside, it should be hardy in British "winters" :-))

Summer: Continental European aclimate, temps as high as 35°C are tolerated if night temps are much lower

Hope this helps!

Stefan

D. arcturi seems to grow mainly in black peat in the wild.

Wherever I have seen D. arcturi growing in the wild it has been found in 100% live sphagnum.

Hi everybody

I agree with Sean, all the D. arcturi I have seen in Tasmania were

growing in pure sphagnum.

I grow both species in pure sphagnum, as Byblis, they rarely produce

flowers, in my case D. stenopetala has flowered one time.

Temps are 5-10°C during winter and can reach 35°C in summer days

but never over 25°C during nights. In my case, high temps induce

the formation of winter buds. In mid august plants begin their resting

period.

Yves

Well, I've never been to New Zealand and Australia but I've seen many pictures of D. arcturi growing in the wild with typical black peat flore. An example here:

http://www.sarracenia.com/photos/drosera/darct01.jpg

You can also have a look to Lowrie's Carnivorous Plants of Australia volume 3 p139, pictures was taken in black peat bog(s).

I can also read p 136 :

"HABITAT: Grows in sphagnum bogs in the alpine hearthlands and in black peat along the margins of small streamlets."

Yves, for stenopetala you use live or dead sphagnum?

Just commenting on my own experiences in the wild. I didn't say that they don't grow in peaty soils, just that the ones I have seen have always been in pure sphagnum.