Sauromatum venosum

phissionkorps

Lots of sun??

I grow mine in the shade in an unheated greenhouse (under the staging) in a moist well-drained humus-rich soil (bark chips, composted bark, potting compost, sand, grit and perlite) in a big pot. It multiplies each year and flowers regularly. I wound't treat it to full sun, but brightish shade seems about right.

(Don't confuse it with Dracunculus, which does want full sun)

You can pot it rootless if you want to - just don't overwater it (or water it al all!). Roots tend to form properly once the leaf is unfurling (after flowering), and that is when you can water it normally.

Your tuber is a little small. It might flower, but don't worry if it doesn't. Mature tubers are around 12-15cm diameter.

Don't have it in the house (or greenhouse) when it flowers. The smell really is terrible.

• 9 years later...

I also have Sauromatum venosum but it always seems to start growing much later then other peoples in the uk!

Does it need a period of dry, cool or heat to get it into growth?

I also have Typhonium giganteum that I have the same troube with, Ive been told that this one is a little hardier than S.Venosum, but it also comes into growth rather late for me tho?

I am still very new to aroids so I’d like to learn as much as can!

I also have Sauromatum venosum but it always seems to start growing much later then other peoples in the uk!

Does it need a period of dry, cool or heat to get it into growth?

I also have Typhonium giganteum that I have the same troube with, Ive been told that this one is a little hardier than S.Venosum, but it also comes into growth rather late for me tho?

I am still very new to aroids so I’d like to learn as much as can!