N. Sibuyanensis

Martin_mtl

looks like it is sunburn.....

What type of soil is it potted in?

Was it in full sun?

Once my leaves lose their pitcher they have a tendancy to turn yellow and then brown but this is quite some time after they lose their pitcher. Actually I don't know if this is suppose to happen either. It usually starts from the bottom area and works its way up but has not gone very far. Nothing of what yours looks like.

The newst leaf near the top left seems to be fine as it is the newest leaf to open. I would move it to the side/shade for a week or two and then move it "slowly" back into the light.

Just my two cents but I grow everything under lights.

Hi Martin

I have had similar problems on a couple of my plants in the past and eventually found that it was stress induced by the environment. Often water drops on the leaves when the temperature drops too low or when the sun comes out and shines on the wet leaves will cause this mottling. There is a fungal infection which affects Neps in a similar way but I have never had this with my plants and have never seen it on anybody elses.

Do you find N. sibyanensis slow?

Cheers

Andy

Without commenting on the top of the leaves or the cause of it on my plant, which I've had for three years, the bottom of the leaves look just like yours. And it's the only one in my collection that looks that way.

Thanks for the replies!

I think I am keeping this one too wet...this would have encouraged an infection. I have a tendency to overwater! I will repot in LFS and treat the roots with fungicide.

HMMM looks like its had a chill i had many plants like that and much much worse at -7 but be patient as they are tougher than you think most of my plants are coming back from that freeze so be patient .I would ditch the soil its in and go for pure LFS can beat it really.

Yes Sibuyanensis is "i find"is a funny grower sometimes goes in fits and starts,ive recently put it in a huge pot of LFS and an giving it almost unfiltered sunlight for most of the day and its looking better ,the leaves have gone very thick and rubbery and are looking well,im just hoping its going to start to produce some large pitchers with more light,only time will tell.

Bye for now Julian

The plant was not subject to cold and was in it's current environement for several months (a terrarium). However, it had daily water misting on its leaves.

I repoted it with NZ LFS and perlite, the roots seems OK. I also treated the whole plant with fungicide.

The N. sibuyanensis is a fussy plant, I have less problems with other highlands such as N. lowii and N. diatas :o

Hi D. Truesdell,

the soil was coco peat mixed with perlite. It didnt look too compacted to me, but then again I have lost several Nepenthes due to inadequate soil.

I was begining to question the coco peat quality, but I have a N. diatas in the same mix doing fine...

For highland Nepenthes, I will try to stick with LFS combined with some coarse materials from now on.

My two sibuyanensis are still babies, but I can't say I've ever found them particularly fussy: the one on the right in pure lfs as per most of my Neps and the one on the left in orchid bark (moss seemed to be out-of-season when I received it).

The one in lfs is definitely doing better, though.

sib2.jpg

Cheers,

T.

Guest Andreas Eils

Hmm, I add about 20 to 25% of coconut fibre to my Nepenthes soil (and also to Heliamphora soil), but doubt that it would be good to use it as a main component. :-k

My two sibuyanensis are still babies...

:wink: What are they? They´re already adolescent I would say! :lol:

Cheers,

Andreas